Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Stockpiles and properly using them  (Read 594 times)

Psychopulse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom Stockpiles and properly using them
« on: November 02, 2011, 06:02:05 pm »

I have attempted to do this a few times, even reading the wiki for instructions, but I still have some trouble making custom stockpiles.

For instance, I want to have a stockpile of metal ores to smelt in the furnace so my dwarves don't really need to waste so much time hauling them from other stockpiles or whereever they're laying around.  Now, while I can easily make a new stockpile and assign it for metal ores I find, the problem is that none of the dwarves separate regular stones from metal ones.  I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is...

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Stockpiles and properly using them
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 07:11:51 pm »

Dwarves won't remove items from a stockpile that can accept that item type unless there's a take from stockpile order. In other words, if you've got one stockpile that accepts any stone and one that accepts only metal ores, any metal ores that get put into the first pile won't get moved off unless you set the second pile to take from the first. If you disable metal ores in the main pile any metal ores will be moved as well.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 05:47:13 am »

P->T for custom stockpile settings. (E)nable Stone, then press Right and make sure Economic, Other Stone and Clay are (f)orbidden, leaving Stone and Metal Ores highlighted. P->C to designate the custom stockpile.

You don't actually alter the standard templates, only the custom one. I'm guessing that could be why it didn't work. Also, you can always check out how a stockpile is set with Q->S and customize it there.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 10:31:51 pm »

P->T for custom stockpile settings. (E)nable Stone, then press Right and make sure Economic, Other Stone and Clay are (f)orbidden, leaving Stone and Metal Ores highlighted. P->C to designate the custom stockpile.

You don't actually alter the standard templates, only the custom one. I'm guessing that could be why it didn't work. Also, you can always check out how a stockpile is set with Q->S and customize it there.

It's worth checking up on this... I habitually forget when to press the right buttons when making stockpiles and end up with animals all over, since that's the default.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 12:13:13 am »

Also note that if items are placed in a stockpile and the stockpile is later changed to no longer accept those items, your dwarves will still avoid removing them unless the stockpile is removed (at least under those items that need to be moved) or a "take from" order is made at another stockpile.

I take great pains to organize my stockpiles, and the "Take From" is a wonderful function for setting up shipping lines and area priority, such as ensuring that even if the builders run out of nearby material for the bridge, the masons have a constant supply of stone to work with.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:53:37 am »

Dwarves will take items from a stockpile that doesn't accept that good...but only if there's another stockpile that wants that good, and the closest item of that type is the one in the stockpile you want it removed from.

If you need to get a stockpile cleared of junk stone, the only viable option is to quantum stockpile the stone by designating a garbage zone nearby and setting a dump order on all the stone (d)->(b)->(d) to get it moved into the garbage zone.

Then remove the garbage zone before somebody decides that's where you wanted the rotting goblin corpse moved to.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:07:31 pm »

you have to remember to forbid the stone/ore/bar at other places. I had a stockpile for charcoal, metal ores and metal bars at my metal craft floor. remember that you dont need barrels for any of it, but you do need bins
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.