Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Minotaurs?  (Read 2430 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Minotaurs?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 12:03:53 am »

I always assumed that divine intervention was a major factor in that, or maybe True Love. Either way, there's a good chance that the resultant child would not arbitrarily reverse its head-suggested diet. A cow's head wouldn't even be any good at chewing meat!
It was divine intervention in the original. Aphrodite got mad at King Minos failing to sacrifice the bull to Poseidon like he had promised, so she forced his wife to fall deeply in love with it. The resulting spawn was the minotaur. Also the original story mentions that the reason the minotaur ate men was that because it was no intended creature it had no natural source of nourishment, so it devoured humans. I always thought of that part more like life force/soul consumption, where the minotaur was eating the men not for their actual meat, but rather for the energy that they had accumulated from food during their lives.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 05:21:37 am »

but rather for the energy that they had accumulated from food during their lives.

Didn't the minotaur eat CHILDREN? with your logic a veiny old man would have been a better meal.

greek retirement
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:50:04 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Titus Wiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 06:27:08 pm »

I've got a caged minotaur outside my fortress. I release her when the goblins arrive.

She is wielding a capybara leather loincloth and seems to be quite the expert with it. So far 11 goblins and two humans have met a humiliating end!.
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 06:52:34 pm »

I've got a caged minotaur outside my fortress. I release her when the goblins arrive.

She is wielding a capybara leather loincloth and seems to be quite the expert with it. So far 11 goblins and two humans have met a humiliating end!.
so she kills things with the loincloth? shes not wearing it?
Caravan in depot = Broker is on break/sleeping/eating/drink.
Caravan leaves =  Broker has no job.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 11:54:01 pm »

I've seen a tunic-wielder in an adventure mode let's play on youtube before, not sure whether it was 40d or DF2010. I didn't realize it can happen in dwarf mode with your enemies.

Adventure-mode sidekicks, if they lose their weapon, will start wrestling, and sometimes they'll grab someone by their clothing. If the clothing comes loose, they'll start wielding it as a miscellaneous weapon, which I think means they do blunt damage that's based on the weight of the item. I guess minotaurs work the same way in fortress mode?

Also: I'll bet that minotaur has gotten a nickname from the dwarves by now...any chance it translates to "captain underpants"?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 01:57:18 am »

but rather for the energy that they had accumulated from food during their lives.

Didn't the minotaur eat CHILDREN? with your logic a veiny old man would have been a better meal.

greek retirement
Mmmm...
Inner child.....

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 10:29:08 am »

Yeah but it wasn't the minotaur who decided what he was going to eat. Instead it was Minos when he beat the Athenians who was the one who decided that it should be virgins who were sacrificed to the minotaur. Really the important question is why didn't Minos just kill it when it was a kid instead of slowly starving it to death with virgins. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 12:46:50 pm »

Maybe it was an elaborate scheme.

"Virgins will be sacrificed to the monster! Hurry to the kings' chambers for salvation! ... no boys allowed."
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 12:55:21 pm »

A cow's head wouldn't even be any good at chewing meat!

Maybe they drank it.  Bone marrow is like canned beans with a 1-2 year shelf life.  Ya need only tilt and sip, bones, once they are cracked open.  Like a can of beer. 

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 [2]