Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you think Danger Rooms are a legitimate training method?

Yes
- 125 (55.1%)
No
- 102 (44.9%)

Total Members Voted: 227

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Vote Legitimacy - Danger Rooms  (Read 5339 times)

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vote Legitimacy - Danger Rooms
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2011, 04:57:15 am »

well, the idea itself is sound, I just think I might have moved up to elephants too soon in my particular variant.
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Boost One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2011, 05:52:47 am »

By the way... after a bit of thought, although I still really oppose the idea that a 'real' danger room could possibly train what in RL equates to DF 'skills', like dodging... I do favour the idea that a danger room could build up a dwarf's attributes. Much slower than the current danger room, of course.  ;D

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2011, 06:52:22 am »

Danger rooms are a pretty legit method, you just adjust to suit your taste.

Want to storm the HFS with 160 legendary dwarves? Conventional training would take decades to get the first couple generations of legendaries to teach the recruits.

Worried that they train too fast? Reduce spear count and/or add holes for dwarves to dodge into.

Dodge and shield can be retardedly hard to train,  this allows a way to do it.

Once sieges start coming it's quite dangerous to have a squad of recruits running amok prodding wildlife. Prisoners are usually in limited supply and caverns creatures have a habit of ripping legs off for the lulz.

If you lose your pair of legendaries before they train up others it's another couple of years before you train up more.

Marksdwarves can quickly be trained up to accomplished and beyond in around a year or less leading to masses of hauler marksdwarves pin-cushioning gobbos and cave dragons while a melee recruit in the same time is still useless fodder

TL;DR It's single player so who cares. Go ahead and reduce efficiency or don't use if you think it's too gimmicky.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2011, 05:20:15 pm »

Danger rooms are a pretty legit method, you just adjust to suit your taste.

Want to storm the HFS with 160 legendary dwarves? Conventional training would take decades to get the first couple generations of legendaries to teach the recruits.

Worried that they train too fast? Reduce spear count and/or add holes for dwarves to dodge into.

Dodge and shield can be retardedly hard to train,  this allows a way to do it.

Once sieges start coming it's quite dangerous to have a squad of recruits running amok prodding wildlife. Prisoners are usually in limited supply and caverns creatures have a habit of ripping legs off for the lulz.

If you lose your pair of legendaries before they train up others it's another couple of years before you train up more.

Marksdwarves can quickly be trained up to accomplished and beyond in around a year or less leading to masses of hauler marksdwarves pin-cushioning gobbos and cave dragons while a melee recruit in the same time is still useless fodder

TL;DR It's single player so who cares. Go ahead and reduce efficiency or don't use if you think it's too gimmicky.

WUT U TALKING ABOUT?!!

I'm planning to storm HFS with over 90 Legendary dwarves, by making them fight legendary danger room trained goblins :P

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2011, 08:20:30 pm »

You know what isn't legit? Cage traps. And Dwarf Therapist, makes the game too easy. And tilesets, if you don't know what the letters mean, you shouldn't be playing the game. Don't get me started on 3D visualizers, if you can't think in 3D based on a series of sectional slices, that's your problem, not the game's. Oh, and no changing the mineral settings of course. Embarking on anything but terrifying glaciers is definitely not legit.

nightdagger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2011, 10:45:46 pm »

Voted yes, but with full acknowledgement that danger rooms are way too effective in training.  If they didn't train weapon skills at all, I could see it being almost realistic...having hundreds of spears jabbing at you at random will teach you how to dodge and block, and dodging around wearing heavy armor will teach you how to wear it effectively...but being able to train weapon skills with it is way too effective.  Especially since you can set a squad of recruits to use picks in order to train a whole crew of legendary miners in about 5 minutes without digging a single stone...

However, as "unfair" as they are, they're almost a necessary evil at this point, because military training otherwise is broken.  The only effective training method that doesn't use danger rooms is an arena, which also removes any hint of threat from your fortress because all you're doing there is using a hallway full of cage traps to neutralize threats and provide new victims for your dwarves.  And unless you're leaving the fodder fully armed, there's no element of danger there either!

I use danger rooms, simply because I don't want to have to use fifteen thousand cage traps to keep my fortress safe while I train a military the hard easy way with caged prisoners.  Even if the dwarves storming out to fight the enemies were trained in a couple of seasons in a danger room to be super soldiers, there's still something particularly dwarfy about going out to fight your enemies dwarfo a goblino.  And, lets face it, combat is random, and as one particular roleplaying game states, randomness in combat always hurts the player, because the enemies you face, they're in one battle and that's it.  Your dwarves are in (hopefully!) many battles during the course of their lives, and thus have many, many more opportunities to catch an unlucky stab in the eye from a goblin's pike.

Not to mention that even danger room trained dwarves can still get rocked by goblin crossbowmen if you aren't careful.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2011, 02:41:29 am »

They are legimated.
My dwarves never train faster than one skill level every 2-3 years. Its annoying. Too annoying.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2011, 03:06:21 am »

Needs a 'meh'-option.

I don't mind danger-rooms, but I feel that a reasonably inept group of recruits dying horribly and being replaced while the battle-scarred survivors slowly climb their way to legend is a lot more epic and cinematic than everyone standing around the fabulicious sodomimizer for a couple of years.

durbu

• Bay Watcher
  • Halt! Hammerzeit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2011, 03:26:34 am »

I don't like training rooms. Training in a barracks is a lot more realistic and certainly fast enough if you set it up fast enough. Later on you can train your leftover dwarves to legendary in a couple of seasons with legendary teachers.

I'm not against the danger room mechanics though, it's not like you would build one accidentally and I think it's cool you can train your own goblins.
"One of the seven just drowned while cleaning saltwater from the seabed."

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2011, 03:30:23 am »

I just don't understand military enough to use regular training, thats the point.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2011, 07:49:52 am »

Voted yes, but with full acknowledgement that danger rooms are way too effective in training.  If they didn't train weapon skills at all, I could see it being almost realistic...having hundreds of spears jabbing at you at random will teach you how to dodge and block, and dodging around wearing heavy armor will teach you how to wear it effectively...but being able to train weapon skills with it is way too effective.  Especially since you can set a squad of recruits to use picks in order to train a whole crew of legendary miners in about 5 minutes without digging a single stone...

However, as "unfair" as they are, they're almost a necessary evil at this point, because military training otherwise is broken.  The only effective training method that doesn't use danger rooms is an arena, which also removes any hint of threat from your fortress because all you're doing there is using a hallway full of cage traps to neutralize threats and provide new victims for your dwarves.  And unless you're leaving the fodder fully armed, there's no element of danger there either!

I use danger rooms, simply because I don't want to have to use fifteen thousand cage traps to keep my fortress safe while I train a military the hard easy way with caged prisoners.  Even if the dwarves storming out to fight the enemies were trained in a couple of seasons in a danger room to be super soldiers, there's still something particularly dwarfy about going out to fight your enemies dwarfo a goblino.  And, lets face it, combat is random, and as one particular roleplaying game states, randomness in combat always hurts the player, because the enemies you face, they're in one battle and that's it.  Your dwarves are in (hopefully!) many battles during the course of their lives, and thus have many, many more opportunities to catch an unlucky stab in the eye from a goblin's pike.

Not to mention that even danger room trained dwarves can still get rocked by goblin crossbowmen if you aren't careful.

*Clears throat*

Legendary Goblins. No weapons, no !!FUN!!.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2011, 09:02:48 am »

I think they are the most effective training method out there. I'm using them.

I recently lost most of my militiary and several civvies to a goblin AMBUSH. I need more training, and sparring combined with killing assorted fuzzy animals WON'T cut it. Period.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2011, 09:04:54 am »

I think they are the most effective training method out there. I'm using them.

I recently lost most of my militiary and several civvies to a goblin AMBUSH. I need more training, and sparring combined with killing assorted fuzzy animals WON'T cut it. Period.

You need more dwarves.

evillevi

• Bay Watcher
  • Love Boat murder
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2011, 09:42:47 am »

Danger rooms = weapon trap plus 10  copper spears. Some of my dwarfs died when they sparred in one. But helps me maintain a low enough dwarfs to usually avoid sieges though not all the time. This I consider legit in any sense of the world.
Love Boat murder

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2011, 11:46:10 am »

I just don't understand military enough to use regular training, thats the point.

For Melee:
1. Set up a uniform using practice weapons/hammer/candyhammer of your choice.(Have at least full sets of copper)[Undead creature aggression helps greatly.]

Goblin Sieges Y/N?

2. If No, then run around topside prodding wildlife until rank 5-7ish.(Higher ranks have higher spar rates)
  Then assign to a new squad in groups of 3 with proper weapons. Set to 2 training. (If they refuse to swap out training weapon due
     to attachment use dump to go rid of it. check back periodically to make sure they are still using a proper weapon.)
  Get to Legendary in wep skill, train up others, then add to either the legendary patrol or legendary training squads.
  New recruits prod wildlife for a few ranks in wep then spar with legends to legendary

2. If Yes, use cage traps to harvest prisoners. Use a Garbage dump zone (Labeled with a note so you know where it is to deactivate if necessary) to strip the prisoners.[Either use
  d-b-d, select cages then manually undump each CAGE. Dwarves will remove goblinite but leave cage alone. Or figure out how to
  tell gobbo equiped weapons/shields in stocks menu and dump there]
Build an arena, put stripped gobbo cages in there, send squad over bridge, through airlock w/ cage tracks and into arena. Free gobbos and replace wildlife with gobbo from
   previous

For Ranged, Just arm haulers and Ranged troops with xbows, send em off to shoot available targets to desired level and leave 1-3 on train while the rest haul ammo.[Mass manufacture and hauling of bone bolts is important. You can NEVER have enough ammo.]

For doctor training save all dwarves with these attributes: increased healing(Quck to heal[QH], QuiteQH [QQH], IncrediblyQH[IQH]) and disease resistance (Rarely sick [RS], VeryRS[VRS], Almost never sick [ANS]) These stats cannot be trained and are desirable for the multiple trips down drop shafts/elite troops. We'll get to these in a moment.

Useless dwarves in general should hurled down drop shafts that are 3 z-levels high [Roof>Bridge>Open Space>Floor] This has around 70%-80% chance of breaking SOMETHING and around <10% of a herpa derpa dwarf doing a header or belly flop.(Read:Broken brain/spine) If the subjects are wearing a full suit of metal armor the casualty rate should be minimal and your hobos will give plenty training for your doctors.

Now dwarves with increased healing and disease resistance are good because they can bounce back quicker and are more resistant to infection/syndromes. This is also desirable for quicker rates of being hurled down a drop shaft.

Set the level controlling the bridge to repeat and set a squad smaller than the amount of doctors on hand to station on the bridge. They'll go on, fall, break multiple limbs, get treated, go back, repeat with an acceptably small rate of death per year.(Don't forget nurses[Dwarves with ONLY feed/water patient and Recover wounded enabled.]

As a final note, IQH ANS should be viewed as superdwarves and trained as a last resort against the end of times. They'll have the best chance of surviving contamination and blood loss in quarantine.  8)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]