Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Trading caravan members fell into a murky pool and can't get out?  (Read 589 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

I made a 1x3 channel'ed area for them to get out.  But they seem to like taking a bath.  How can I get them out?  The pool's not very deep.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Trading caravan members fell into a murky pool and can't get out?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:49 pm »

blub blub blub...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:13:46 pm »

"Not very deep?" If it's at least a z-level, they need ramps. You might need to channel enough that the water drops to 3/7 or less.

Or they might have drowned?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:33:07 pm »

http://i42.tinypic.com/vyq1s.jpg, you can't see it because it's blinking, but that whole west wall have ramps.

I have a ton of animals up top, they might have something to do with it.  So I'm moving the zoned animals to another zone
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:38:34 pm by thistleknot »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:40:39 pm »

How did they happen to fall in?  They won't just fall into water for no reason.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:41:44 pm »

well, as usual.  They arrived and then an ambush.  I'm not exactly sure how they fell in.  I didn't see it until I noticed I couldn't trade because they were setting up indefinitely.  I have a waterfall above that area, but not on walkable terrain.  The only guess I have, is maybe rain made slippery area?

The only thing I can think there doing is trying to path find to the other side of the water rather than get out of it.  Now my traders are leaving soon :(

I think I have an idea.  Build another trade depot!

That's not working.  They seem to refuse to deconstruct the old one, or even start on the new one.  Even after assigning an architect to a burrow to work on it.

I even assigned everyone masonry and architecture and they didnt' seem to touch it (guess you can't build or descontruct a trade depot while in trade).

I guess I'm a just have to drain that murky pool (not too big a deal).

Draining it doesn't seem to be doing much.  Still two of them down there.  One leaves and comes back.  He keeps running back to a blinking X

I've officially given up on this for the time being.

I swear there's so many damn bugs with this game.  It's such a f-in puzzle on trying to figure out how to play through them all.

BTW, when they debark, no problem going west out of the pool to leave.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:20:28 pm by thistleknot »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:39 pm »

I solved the pain in the ass problem by removing the windmill on top of the waterpump that was creating the shallow water in the first place.  As soon as I did that, they left the murkey pool.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 12:09:31 am »

They ended up in the pool because the ambushers attacked them, and they dodged away from the attack and into the water, which probably saved their lives, in an odd way.

It could have been a pathing issue; creatures won't path through water that is 4/7 or deeper, and I imagine the water in that pool was moving around quite a bit.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."