Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Kobolds v31.25  (Read 5491 times)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobolds v31.25
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 03:52:18 pm »

Just give them [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK] and gen a new world. If you want to play as kobolds remove it after the world has been generated.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 06:41:08 pm »

Bonecarn causes them to eat bones and meat only. There is a small chance of them choking on bones when trying to eat them, but no other effects. Being carnivorous does not forbid farming, but they wont produce plant-based food unless they have the outdoor_farming tag and their default site is a human city, in their entity file.
What I don't know though is whether growing plants for food provides for carnivorous creatures or not.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 09:30:52 am »

Did a little bit of SCIENCE, BONECARN seems to be the biggest factor in Kobolds not surviving.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 09:55:57 am »

There is a small chance of them choking on bones when trying to eat them
[citation needed]
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 07:37:27 pm »

edit: Woah, I don't even know what happened. Totally replied to the wrong thread. Apologies.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:39:36 pm by Aachen »
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 08:17:51 pm »

I currently have 5 worlds (@ 100y, 150y, & 3x298y) that all have (unmodified AFAIK) kobolds.

I have implemented "No Exotic Pets" & "No Aquifer" modifications, so if Kobolds normally have a Pet_Exotic tag, that will have been modified.

The easy way to find out whether or not your world has surviving kobolds is to check for them in the "Sites" document that is generated when you "export images" at the end of world gen, & which may also be generated if you "export images" mid-game.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 07:51:02 pm »

Ok it's this: new worldgen routine was added recently which keeps track of food at each site. As Kobolds never farm and never hunt, they die out at Year 4 unless they successfully get a stealing industry going. Most fail to do that, some get very lucky. So if you want Kobolds, either mod them so they don't need to eat/drink during worldgen or end worldgen at year 2~3. Only downside of a very early worldgen is a lower availability of resources for trade because civs don't have sites spread out yet. On the upside, you get less random history in your decorations.
You can also remove [BONECARN] from their creature RAWs and add [OUTDOOR_FARMING] to their entity, if, say, you want to play your own version of kobold camp or something and also have the benefit of kobold caravans.
what do you need to mod to get the caravans??

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 12:53:14 am »

What happened to this topic?

So is it really the only option to mod raws?
Is it a bug or intended that they are dying out when they dont steal food?

Maybe Toady One can give us some insight in this! I wanna kill Kobolds like in earlier versions :D

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 01:06:28 am »

It is a known bug and Toady has already worked on it (see Dev Notes).

I also put in some extra precautions and tweaks so that dwarves form markets properly and are more survivable in world gen. Kobolds as well.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:08:14 am by Dwarfu »

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 06:40:31 am »

Sometimes you get lucky. On my current fortress (started in year 50) I have plenty of the little buggers running around!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 02:27:25 pm »

What happened to this topic?

So is it really the only option to mod raws?
Is it a bug or intended that they are dying out when they dont steal food?

Maybe Toady One can give us some insight in this! I wanna kill Kobolds like in earlier versions :D
Well, it seems that vanilla kobolds need to steal their source of food and in most cases they're unsuccessful, so an easy fix is to mod the raws and add the [no_eat][no_drink] tags, like the goblins have.

If you want to get kobold caravans, I think there is another topic around about that....
Pages: 1 [2]