Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'm going to keep an embark for once!  (Read 1275 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I'm going to keep an embark for once!
« on: November 30, 2011, 10:50:18 pm »

But I'm kind of stumped on how I want to start working it. So I shall turn to you bay12, in your infinite wisdom and power, to give me an idea. Huge image is huge by the way.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am thinking of either making a castle (keep, motte, whatever you want to call it at an early stage), in the lower left right by the volcano as I recall magma evaporates in about 20 tiles, so I could try to use it to make a magma moat or something. However as thats right by the edge, it is a bit cramp...

On the other hand, I could just build somewhere in the "middle", but I'm unsure how I'd get to transporting the magma that far without it drying up. As I'm going for an aboveground settlement, positioning is a bit important as well.

Any suggestions or anything? I usually end up scrapping embarks over something I see as a poor design choice, and this embark is actually pretty mineral rich (tons of gold as I recall and has tin/copper) so I'd really like to keep using it... I think I found a second embark I liked, but it was in a Badlands, so it would have absolutely no trees and I dislike breaching the caverns early on, because I tend to forget to wall it off and I'm trying to not use too many traps.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going to keep an embark for once!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 10:54:09 pm »

If you keep the magma in a corridor, it won't evaporate. The only way to get magma to really go away is to flood a large area with a small amount of it. Go for the middle and may your moat be magmatic.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:56:45 pm »

That's one square mountain.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:42:26 pm »

If you keep the magma in a corridor, it won't evaporate. The only way to get magma to really go away is to flood a large area with a small amount of it. Go for the middle and may your moat be magmatic.

Ah I see, that is very useful to know indeed.

@Mitchewawa:
My favorite kind of mountains! Squaretains.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:09:08 am »

Could you upload the save file? I'm very interested about that square mountain.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:11:01 am »

Magma only evaporates at 1/7, hence why the corridors help as provided you have a continuous source, there won't be any 1/7 tiles for long. The other thing to bear in mind is how slow magma flows naturally. So the simplest method of getting the magma to your moat is to very slowly dig out the "plumbing". Dig out some 10 tile-long corridor, let it fill up to the brim with magma, dig out the next 10 tiles, etc etc. Personally I'd just set up some pumps to get things flowing faster, others may prefer a system of floodgates so they can do all the installation work in one go and then just control things with levers.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:25:34 am »

Could you upload the save file? I'm very interested about that square mountain.
The only problem with that is this is a modded file with a custom race. Probably can't tell from the screenshot though...

@Psieye:
Ah I see. Now I'll have to think of a way to get the moat going that won't result in a miner dieing everytime. It feels like its 50/50 if they can actually run fast enough or not.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 11:46:45 am »

If they have something else to dig out immediately after breaching the magma they'll almost certainly outrun it. Otherwise, they'll hang around in the path of burny death for a bit too long and end up getting roasted.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:35:33 pm »

Where is the world's seed stored anyway? I could upload the save but I could also just give out the seed for the world...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 03:28:46 pm »

If they have something else to dig out immediately after breaching the magma they'll almost certainly outrun it. Otherwise, they'll hang around in the path of burny death for a bit too long and end up getting roasted.

Just make sure the Dwarf has another job to do... Or they will idly wait for the lava to reach them. Of course, this won't be fatal though (providing the dwarf doesn't run further into the lava).

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 04:11:08 pm »

Or have them dig it out from above. The one time I played with a volcano, I dug a tunnel just underground at the very top, and had a miner channel the last tile (between the lava and the tunnel) from above.