Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Other games like Ultima VII or Teudogar?  (Read 1971 times)

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Other games like Ultima VII or Teudogar?
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:29:31 am »

Because honestly, these games are great. And waiting on Draghul is killing me here. Anyone know of any games like either of these? Ideally with heavy RPG elements...paper dolling...hoarding "junk items" as scene props to give your little homestead character. Etc.

I don't really have to explain what made these games amazing do I? If you've played them, you know.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Other games like Ultima VII or Teudogar?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 08:51:59 am »

heavy RPG elements - Planescape torment, baldurs gate etc, the classics.
paper dolling - old games i guess.
hoarding "junk items" as scene props to give your little homestead character. - err... elderscrolls games? Ultima online? sim3? =P

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 09:29:26 am »

I never could get into Baldur's Gate...or any of it's siblings. Something unfathomably irksome about having Imoen call me a "Queer Fella" every minute of every hour she was in the party. Minsc I could stand, and since he brought boo with him it was two companions for the price of one. Honestly? I've never played beyond the Naskil mines, not my cup of tea.

Temple of Elemental evil though, I did like. Turn based combat is more in line with party combat.

Never played planescape torment, and if it's just more of the Baldur's gate formula, not interested. No matter how engaging the setting looks.

As for sims, though I could ((and have)) enjoyed speaking simlish to the confusion of complete strangers, not much of a fan of the games.

So far I'm keeping an ear to the ground to see how Richard Garrott's planned "Ultimate RPG" developes. Good spirits not take the man before he makes this last work! Because the sad fact of the matter is, their just aren't that many games of the same calibur as the old greats floating around. Unless I'm mistaken, and one of you fellow Bay Watchers holds some obscure knowledge of a hidden gem.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 09:52:12 am »

Avernum Trilogy, by Spiderweb Software. Some superb storyline(s) and big world. Some funny Phil Foglio art.
Second Avernum trilogy and other games by Spiderweb are fine too, but first one is better. May want to wait until the remake comes out, though.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 05:53:33 pm »

Knights of the Chalice uses the same perspective, although it's more focused on combat. If you liked Temple of Elemental Evil, then this might be to your liking.

There's also Planet's Edge using the same perspective. I can't recall any junk items, but it did have grid turn-based combat.

I recall Ultima 8 still having the same sort of inventory system, but otherwise being more of an action adventure game and having a somewhat different perspective (more traditional isometric). Ultima Online used about the same perspective as U8, nearly the same inventory system and was more RPGish, but that's a mumorpeger and not free (unless you don't mind shards).

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 04:38:53 pm »

Ultima 8 is kinda... poop.
Well, to be fair  it is decent, but when you compare it to 7 it is poop. U7 part 1 and 2 are compounded awesomeness in digital form. Probably the only game(s) I have re-installed more times than Fallout 2.

All that said, this is the first time I have heard of Teudogar. Info on site and screenies intrigue me. Tempted to just buy now and analyze later... or does the demo give enough of an impression for me to make a judgement call?

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 05:38:13 pm »

Bit of a stretch at parts, but the Roguelike Rayel might suit you solidly:

http://anfeir.ter12.ru/rayel-features.htm
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php/Rayel

There's DEFINITELY a "world" to it versus some others, and I really hope to see the development of it pick back up.

I too long for Darghul though, there's a game that should have a far, far bigger playerbase waiting breathlessly than it currently has had up to now.   :(

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 07:08:36 pm »

Ultima 8 is kinda... poop.
Well, to be fair  it is decent, but when you compare it to 7 it is poop. U7 part 1 and 2 are compounded awesomeness in digital form. Probably the only game(s) I have re-installed more times than Fallout 2.
It was the first Ultima I played, so I didn't judge it based on the series. I can see what's wrong with it, like the buggy platforming where a hundred things can go randomly wrong due to the physics engine, or the relatively convoluted solutions.

But it had great atmosphere, things like NPC schedules were still there (to some extent), and it sported multiple magic systems. And while I think platforming was horribly applied here, I also think it was really neat being able to climb stuff rather than being only able to move like you're confined to a wheelchair. Despite being a worse Ultima game than 7, it still did a bunch of neat stuff that nothing else did at the time.

All that said, this is the first time I have heard of Teudogar. Info on site and screenies intrigue me. Tempted to just buy now and analyze later... or does the demo give enough of an impression for me to make a judgement call?
You can get a good idea of what it looks like in the demo. The full version's basically just got more stuff - more "magic", encounters, side quests and the whole plot. And overall it's rather linear, so the demo just cuts off the plot at some point, from what I remember.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 08:00:09 pm »

Don't get me wrong, while I pdid call U8 "poop" I tried to qualify that by indicating it is poop compared to U7... So on that vein, $1,000,000 is freaking awesome, but it is "poop" when compared to $100,000,000,000 ^_^
So while U8 is no million bucks, and maybe not even 1,000 smackaroos, it still has some nice value for a single, maybe two, playthroughs...

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 12:32:24 am »

Yeah, play the demo of Teudogar. Even if you don't buy it it's awesome when you can pick up the Berserker skill from the guy reluctant to teach it to you.

And throwing spears at peeps before swinging an axe their way has its merits. As for Rayel...well...I even use graphics for DF. ACII makes my eyes sad.