Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you do with idlers?  (Read 1556 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with idlers?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 02:00:41 am »

im also relatively new but i think that the actual placement of items on apecific Z lvls has little effect on your FPS forgive me if im wrong  ;D
might there be any programs that help smooth out the FPS, i recently reached 150 dwarfs at my fort and wish with all my heart that they would move a tad faster. (incase of lack of fps useless bee keeping dwarves shall be given a one way fun time dive into my "=+!!DOOM PIT!!+="

DF uses modified A* pathfinding ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A*_search_algorithm ). Distance, obstacles, and dead ends all cause an increase in calculations, lowering your FPS.

If you want more FPS at your fort, lower the population cap in d_init.txt, and then send useless dwarves to the surface or caverns...

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 09:13:34 am »

I made a profession in DFTherapist called Labor, put all dwarves that aren't useful or military in there. Need stone smoothed? Designate an area and set all to stone detailing. Need a wall built? Forbid the associated workshop/suspend all orders there, and set the labors to carpenter or mason, as needed. 50+ bodies grab a bit of stone and wood, rush their little feet to the wall and are back to stealing my booze in no time at all. Farms out of season? Set them all to plant gather and strip the whole world of plants. Think I'll rename it to Locust later. Once the fort gets big enough, I'll designate certain haulers to do nothing but one job, keeping a force of laborers that do all the jobs.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2011, 12:14:30 pm »

Just draft them into the Hauler-Marksdwarf reserves.

Upon arrival they're assigned Primary skills:
  Marksdwarf 6-10 (Run around map shooting at things)
  Pump Op.
  Swimming

Upon Completion:
  Assigned to Marksdwarf squads of 10 set to 2 train per month

Assigned Secondary skills based on fortress/attribute needs:
  Siege Op.
  Herbalist
  Miller
  Thresher
  Furnace Op.

Sparring/Archery practice will keep the rust off. Ambush/Siege alerts will skill them to legendary

Assigned Tertiary skills for further fine-tuning if desired:
  Engraver
  Bone Carver (Bolts)
  Mason (Blocks. Set mason workshop profiles to [Block shop <Legendary] [everything else >Grandmaster])
  Miner (Gulag. Use autodestroy, Traffic designation to try and cut back on contribution to fps death)
  Mechanic (Crap Mechanisms to be sold/offered to caravans)
  Fisher
  Fish Cleaner

For Marks Training:
 Focus
  Siege Op.
  Marks
  Archery
  Fisher
 Agility
  Swimming
  Herbalist
  Miller
  Thresher
  Engraver
  Bone Carver
  Glassworker

You have now put your untrained hobos on the path to self-improvement and your fort has gained a trained reserve of armed haulers. Warning! This is massively bolt intensive. You will need thousands of bolts and will burn through them unbelievably quick so try to secure a constant source of bones. (You'll probably want to enable butchering sentient's in the dwarfs ethics tags too.)

Pages: 1 [2]