Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toady, question about the devlog...  (Read 2173 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Toady, question about the devlog...
« on: October 30, 2011, 07:55:57 am »

Dear Toady One,
In the devlog*, you mentioned migrants with historical relatives, and migrants that are generally historical figures. There are a few uncertain things and interesting possibilities related to that that I'd like to ask you.

1. Are all migrants historical figures, or are they still mostly generated on-the-spot?

2. What happens when your civ runs out of citizens? Or do historical migrants stop genning before then?

3. If something like the famous Cacame Apebalded incident happened, could you get elf migrants?
3b. I suppose this would count for non-dwarven adventurers as well.

4. Can the monarch migrate to your fortress if it houses most/all of the civ's population? (Which would require massive worldgen wars or something, but how unlikely is that?)

5. If that happened, would it count as a bug or an unintended feature?

If you choose to answer these questions, thanks! (If you don't, that's fine, but I'm not going to thank you for not answering a question.)

*I think that's what the thing on the main DF page is, but I might be confusing it with something else.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Toady, question about the devlog...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 08:10:46 am »

Might wanna take questions about the next release here.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:13:28 am »

As all adventurers are from player-chosen civs and their corresponding race, I don't think it would be possible to make an adventurer that is a non-dwarf from a dwarven civ, with which one could start a fort.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:55:56 am »

adventurers get given membership of the civ that thay retire at.
so a non-dwarven adventurer will trun up.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 11:54:51 am »

I think it is safe to assume that:

1. Are all migrants historical figures, or are they still mostly generated on-the-spot?
Only some of the migrants are drawn for the historical figures pool, otherwise you would end up with a fortress full of legendary warriors and adventurers. Others are probably taken from the rest of the population (which is probably just a number), so this means they are generated on the spot.

2. What happens when your civ runs out of citizens? Or do historical migrants stop genning before then?
If there are no more historical figures in your civ, then obviously they won't come. So only randomly generated migrants then.

You should ask other questions in the Future of the Fortress thread, which exists just for that. Don't forget to color them in green so Toady can easily spot them.

The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 03:15:01 pm »

This sort of thing would generally be better off in the Future of the Fortress thread. But as it happens, I know the answers to all of these.
Dear Toady One,
In the devlog*, you mentioned migrants with historical relatives, and migrants that are generally historical figures. There are a few uncertain things and interesting possibilities related to that that I'd like to ask you.

We know we can get non-historical dwarves:
Any dwarves from your abandoned fortresses should also show up in subsequent forts, whether originally historical or not
Historical figures stop genning when worldgen is over. But presumably important figures (those with political positions) will never appear, and if you manage to exhaust all the figures in your world, there will only be spontaneously generated ones.

3. If something like the famous Cacame Apebalded incident happened, could you get elf migrants?
There is no reason to suspect otherwise.
The reason that Cacame things happen is because of non-dwarves becoming a member of the dwarven civ. You can only make dwarven adventurers as part of a dwarven civ, and it is currently not possible to change civ affiliation. This might be possible some time in the future, but it won't be in the next version and likely not any time soon.

4. Can the monarch migrate to your fortress if it houses most/all of the civ's population? (Which would require massive worldgen wars or something, but how unlikely is that?)
By design, the monarch goes to your fortress when certain requirements are met.

5. If that happened, would it count as a bug or an unintended feature?
If the monarch went to your fortress outside of the circumstances he is intended to, that would be a bug.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:00:58 pm by Cruxador »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:43:35 pm »

Ah, right, the Future of the Fortress thread...er...this forum needs a facepalming smiley.

Um, ahem...right.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.