Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Laptop problems  (Read 905 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Laptop problems
« on: November 12, 2011, 05:51:37 am »

Okay. I recently restored to factory settings a two year old laptop. It's running Windows Vista Home Premium, and it is a HP Pavilion dv6. Having finished reinstalling, I've run into three separate problems.

Firstly, when sent to sleep, it stays active but unresponsive. Only solution to make it working again is to shut it down manually.

Secondly, when shutting down to install updates, it freezes after updates are installed, stays on the 'shutting down' screen, however there are lines of noise across the place where letters should be.

Thirdly, none of the USB ports are working, however, when connected to one, my USB memory stick is still lit up as if it were connected properly.

Any ideas?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop problems
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 06:05:03 am »

Just to confirm, I would reformat/go back to factory defaults again, just to make sure something didn't screw up.

Otherwise, maybe the factory restore just... isn't much good? The drivers might be buggy or outdated or sometimes not even installed. Check Device Manager for problematic devices.

Also, you might want to google the laptop's model and look around to see if other people have encountered the same problem.

One potential solution is to just install Windows from scratch, but then you have to find and install all the right drivers, which is a real pain... which is why on OEM computers like that I like to back up all the drivers first, so I at least know I have them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 06:10:38 am »

Problem is, the USB ports have worked previously after the restore, they simply stopped working now.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:51:51 am »

Well then, what happened between them working and them not working? Any changes to drivers? New hardware? Install any security software, by chance? Or for that matter, any new programs at all?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:10:39 am »

Nope. All of a sudden they reported the USB devices weren't recognised, then stopped working entirely.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:49:45 am »

Usb drivers go to sleep frequently.