Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone else try/do this  (Read 780 times)

robdesjardin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone else try/do this
« on: October 28, 2011, 05:45:10 pm »

Build a section of fortress sealed off from all other sections and make it homogeneous? you know a multi-z level obsidian tower to house nobles making them only friends with each other, and the one farmer.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else try/do this
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »

Lots of people have done this, actually. Many people make it out of cast obsidian with waterfalls flowing from top to bottom, and often have a single support at the bottom linked to a lever, just in case.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 11:20:42 pm »

I tend to do this with my prisons and refuse piles.
...usually I have the two mixed together,  so the prisoners can have the added pleasure of disease and miasma during thier stay.

Also, all the caged beast-people and kobolds and goblins I can't sell are added to this pile.

Its one giant sealed off cavern of disease, filth, animal stench and decay,  with the screams of monsters echoing off the walls.

My last mayor loved it there for some reason.
Every time he walked past the door to that place,  he had happy thoughts.
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

robdesjardin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:38:37 pm »

What do you mean by obsidian cast. As in a mold to form a tower so you can smooth and engrave it? That sounds very dwarfish. It would also overcome the problems encountered with blocks. Now new problem how to the the lava and water to mix. Not all at once I'd imagine that be very elfish. One layer at a time like a cake. New Mega-project time. Damn it exams you keep getting in the way of fun.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:01 pm »

An interesting thing to try out is the Urist & the Beanstalk challenge.

Try an build a macro/mega-fortress on top of a flimsy little, though really really tall (Z-settings on worldgen) beanstalk. Stalk must be at least 20-50Z tall, and no staircases to access the fortress. An artifact gold harp (or legendary quality) must be central to it.

Oh yeah, and the beanstalk must be entirely made of wood. Trade all your cattle to a caravan for only seeds at first. Bonus points if you can "grow" the stalk big/large enough to allow wagon access. More points if you can house titans and colossi inside the fort to guard the harp.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:05:24 pm by Itnetlolor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 08:02:45 am »

Or, for tradition's sake, a giant. With a pet goose, modded to lay gold eggs.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.