Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exciting aspects of Release #...?  (Read 529 times)

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
Exciting aspects of Release #...?
« on: October 28, 2011, 02:24:26 pm »

Every once in a while, I'll look over the release#'s for the caravan arc on the Developement page.  It is exciting to think of the things coming within this arc as it sparks the imagination.  What is one of your favorite releases to come and why?  NOTE: this is a thread for positive comments please.  Complaints about this or that can be contributed in other threads.  This one is just for the fun stuff you see coming in the caravan arc.  Thanks.

Today, I was looking at the 'mundane' looking Realease#2.  But actually, I think it will be quite interesting.  It is the start of a more living world with the little people having schedules, going about their daily routines.  It actually might encompass the basic framework for the upcoming 'realtime' caravans etc.  And then there's the mine maps.  That could make adventuring more interesting as you explore old mines that look like they actually had a purpose.  Who knows what tangents this might take Toady on.  Looking forward to it.
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Exciting aspects of Release #...?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 03:14:57 pm »

pretty much the entire release schedule gives me a stiffy, but the one that excites me the most is #7 with livestock/pets and the mounted combat rewrite. Toady will probably add some sort of framework that makes it so you can hatch an egg and it will be your pet. Or at least find an elven caravan. You could ride a GIANT EAGLE. Or a ROC!!! Beyond that, if he does do eggs (presumably he'd code naturally occurring nests in or something for the release) then imagine how you could exploit that. You might be able to get a pet kobold or animalman.

Really though, I'm a sucker for pets in games. I hope Toady makes it an awesome release, because if he gives it half the attention this release is getting it I'd be ecstatic.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 04:05:27 pm »

Eight allows both land ownership and complex motivations. I think that's my overall favorite. But the cavalry of seven and the more interesting social constructs in 3 and 4 are also quite exciting.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 05:30:11 pm »

I'm looking forward to #4. I think the added variety to fort mode and the dwarves acting more as a community with festivals and fairs and taverns will create fort designs and stave off boredom after I make an impregnable fort.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:30:38 pm »

The one which's going to add magic and lighting is the more interesting to me.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.