Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 8bitMUSH - Captalistic, Artistic MUSH  (Read 5068 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
8bitMUSH - Captalistic, Artistic MUSH
« on: October 24, 2011, 05:54:05 pm »

Been playing this MUSH for quite a while, and figured I might as well share it.

8BitMUSH is a very unique social game, based around the idea that the players make everything. Every single room of the MUSH, besides the roads, are created by players. As you can see in the screenshot, this can lead to some really interesting stuff, especially since there is now a web-based ANSI Art editor, which will actually save images you make to your account in the game.

Objects can also be programmed with MUSHCode, so there are plenty of puzzles, arcade games, and other fun stuff to do. All accounts can explore, as well as edit and expand on a plot of land given to them when they start. More land can be purchased at a later time, or earned for having a good rated lot.

The game has a net-based Flash client that is strongly recommended, as it supports all of the pretty graphics things that most telnet clients don't. If you don't use a telnet client that supports FANSI and ANSI, then you will get converted graphics. And the web-client will play sound if rooms have them.

URL to Website: 8bit.memoryleak.org
URL to Building Guide (no longer on main website): http://8bit.memoryleak.org/BuildingTutorial1.aspx
Telnet URL: telnet://8bit.fansi.org:4201

If anyone is interested in working on a Bay12 lot together, send me a page in game or post your interest here, I could branch something off or convert one of my few lots.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: 8bitMUSH - Captalistic, Artistic MUSH
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:50:13 pm »

8bit has a pretty..special relationship with the rest of the MU community. In the past at very least they've essentially been the worst parts of Anonymous in online game form - actively DDoSing and hacking other games that they dislike. They seem to have calmed significantly over time though, as it's been a few years since I've heard of an 8bit attack anywhere I've been.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:00:23 pm »

8bit has a pretty..special relationship with the rest of the MU community. In the past at very least they've essentially been the worst parts of Anonymous in online game form - actively DDoSing and hacking other games that they dislike. They seem to have calmed significantly over time though, as it's been a few years since I've heard of an 8bit attack anywhere I've been.
Hmm, I know I've been playing for about 3 years (8bit is 10 years old) on and off, and I haven't seen any serious DDoS attacks or anything like that since I've started. The rules are very relaxed though, leading to some interesting incidents in-game, but to me they're all part of the fun. (Recursive spam page making bots, for example, await you if you make someone angry..counter with '@lock/page me==me'). If you do bad spam things, another player will inevitably dart you, kicking you out of the game for a time, so don't worry too much about it.

Personally it's worth checking out the website just to play with the ASCII art tool, in my opinion. You don't even have to register, but it's fun to play and draw with.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:17:40 pm »

The ASCII tool does indeed pique my interest. A shame the whole thing isnt open source or something, because as awesome as a mush with ASCII art sounds, I dont think it would be enjoyable if the playerbase is as bad as previous posts seem to imply.

EDIT: In any case, worth a shot I suppose. Bought myself a bit of land on the goddamned moon. Now to figure out how to do anything with it...

Any tutorial for the programming language? Or is it just basic Mushcode?

Also, I know how to set a description for a room, but how the hell do I make an actual picture?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:53:09 am by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 02:04:13 pm »

EDIT: In any case, worth a shot I suppose. Bought myself a bit of land on the goddamned moon. Now to figure out how to do anything with it...

Any tutorial for the programming language? Or is it just basic Mushcode?

Also, I know how to set a description for a room, but how the hell do I make an actual picture?
It is nearly the same as any other MUSHCode will be, closest to PennMUSH. Tutorials for 8bit specifically can be found here (Ctrl+F for 'Luigi'): http://mushcode.com/ClassList.aspx?Type=Code

The picture commands were a bit hard to find at first, instructions were under the help in the art-client. Just put [showpicture(nameofsavefile)] where you want the picture to show, basically.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 03:00:37 pm »

Alright.

So, who here is playing this, and does anyone feel like building something interesting? Maybe start a company or something?
<@Akroma> eh

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 03:43:50 pm »

Alright.

So, who here is playing this, and does anyone feel like building something interesting? Maybe start a company or something?
Well, in order to start a company you need to have at least one product sold with a total of 3 ratings averaging to over 3*'s. I have a couple items with 1 or 2 ratings at that, none that meet that criteria though. (Although I probably could get it if I make some things...you can visit my shop at @tel #23986, I recently remodeled it and put new items in, my old items might be added back later. I could use ratings though!)

If you tell me your name or #dbref, I can set up a Zone for select players to edit, that way we can build off of one area and make a Dwarven Wonderland. ;)

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:23 pm »

Name is Poltifar.

I'll check out your shop as soon as I have time (probably in an hour or something)

EDIT: I wish there was some way to know a bit more about what items do without having to buy them. For example, what does the "My Little Zombie" do? Is it just a static object?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 04:31:38 pm by Poltifar »
<@Akroma> eh

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 04:56:39 pm »

Well, that's likely my fault for not making the description adequate.
It is just a lame piece of ASCII art I drew and stuck in there for fun so that it wasn't completely empty. I'll probably remove it once I add some more things to my shop.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:21 pm »

I've made 3 rather well described rooms, but have run out of ideas for now. Also, I still dont really get this zone thing. I cant make the rooms I made part of the zone, and I cant make myself part of the zone, and I cant edit the zone master room which sucks because it really needs editing to fit in with the rest of the rooms...
<@Akroma> eh

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 10:53:04 pm »

Hey quin, I have a new picture you might want to replace the mountainside one with. I'd prefer to not create an object just to mail the picture to you, so mail me one of those blanks you have lying around and I'll save it on that.

Also, is it possible to sell lots you've built on? I've seen a 'value' attribute on +PROPERTY but can't see any way to buy/sell lots.

EDIT: Heck, I'm starting to think I'd buy this property from you, quin. I have no idea what to do with my moon property.

EDITEDIT: Bah, I got money. I'll just send you the picture by mail. Hope you like it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:41:07 pm by Poltifar »
<@Akroma> eh

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 09:41:39 pm »

It was added, as you know.
You cannot sell residential properties, although if high enough rated the government will purchase it. (so it becomes permanent) If you wanted to move your rooms over to the moon, that could be done easily, but the physical starting room can't.