Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Missilebreak Outvaders: Historically-inaccurate arcade gameplay  (Read 1418 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Missilebreak Outvaders: Historically-inaccurate arcade gameplay
« on: October 21, 2011, 06:10:02 pm »

What would happen if someone was looking back and reading descriptions of old arcade games, but didn't realize they were separate games? What game would they envision, and what sort of gameplay would they come up with if they tried to recreate this historical anachronism?

I recently worked with designer Nathan McCoy to release this Flash game, Missilebreak Outvaders. It blends three classic arcade games from the early days of video games: Breakout, Space Invaders, and Missile Command. The invaders shoot missiles that you reflect with your paddle. The missiles destroy and bounce off of invaders and detonate in chain reactions and on mouse click.

When Nathan designed the game, he kept the graphics extremely loyal to the originals, to the point that we're using a three bit color scheme. Explosions swap between circles of solid color each frame. The invaders are procedurally generated and animated, so they look different each game. You have cities to protect like in Missile Command, and just like the original, they turn into silhouetted husks when destroyed and can be rebuilt if you acquire enough points.

The game starts out slow, but it picks up into chaos in later waves. It's like Arkanoid with constant multiball juggling and no lame endgame, since you can aim your shots and manually detonate missiles when they go near the last couple invaders.

I would really love to get some feedback from Bay12ers on this game -- it's already out but I'm really grateful for the support I've received working on Liberal Crime Squad, and I would love to hear what you liked or didn't like about it. If you have a Kongregate account or don't mind making one, it would also really help us out if you could rate our game there too -- we made front page with this game on Newgrounds, and we'd like to have a shot at the same for Kongregate, but our initial rating isn't high enough to do that.

Play Links:
Kongregate
Newgrounds
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:10:26 am by Jonathan S. Fox »

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
Re: Missilebreak Outvaders, our online arcade game
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:33:58 pm »

I love this to pieces.

Obviously its not much on depth, but this is pretty sweet. Like the quantization too.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 04:52:49 am »

Thanks, we're pretty proud of it. A few people have said it should have been more complex (upgrades, things like that), but most of the feedback has said it's precisely what it should be.

The music syncing with the gameplay only happens when you just start the game, and it's based on the way Space Invaders does that, but it's awesome when it does, really helps you get into the mood. Nathan made the music specifically the game.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 04:58:53 am »

This is outstanding, the music is too good for the era, but I don't care.
I kinda wanna see more games(and moves) in the melange' of an era vein.
Thank you based dwarf.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Missilebreak Outvaders: Historically-inaccurate arcade gameplay
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 07:40:53 am »

it is every a great fast flash game, there may not be a lot to it but it is fun and unlike anything a played befor and at the same time i have played it befor.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:25:16 am »

awesome!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 10:04:37 am »

This is a really fun game.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!