Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Big Rig (1987) - A real slice of Americana  (Read 1603 times)

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
Big Rig (1987) - A real slice of Americana
« on: October 21, 2011, 05:23:49 pm »

Anyone else into old-school simulation has probably bounced into this while making the circuit of abandonware sites.  This is a short, sweet, text-based simulation from the eighties that you may find either stupefyingly dull, or a bread-and-butter gem.  Big Rig puts you in the seat of a typical long-haul trucker delivering the cargo of your choice from Los Angeles to New York.  You can choose from three routes - Northern, Middle, and Southern.  I prefer to have google maps open in the background to keep an eye on my route. 

It's no action thriller, but you've got to be careful not to get your speeding ass busted too many times by Smokey or caught with an overloaded truck at the scales or a hefty fine will cut into your meager payoff if you even make it to New York.  Chances are you'll end up falling asleep at the wheel before even reaching the Eastern Seaboard and prematurely end your career in a smoldering wreckage blocking six lanes of traffic.  Nobody appreciates truckers.

I played this through a few times last night, and frankly, it's given me a great deal of appreciation for the grueling life these real-life guys (and gals) lead.  I've only made one successful trip, via the northern route (Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, Penn, NJ, NY) but arrived three hours early.  After deductions I walked away with $760 for my three and a half days of truckin'.  Rough.

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/big-rig-281
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Big Rig (1987) - A real slice of Americana
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 06:18:15 pm »

Is it wrong that my first thought was "I wonder how in-depth the truckstop simulation is....."?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:30:34 pm »

I loved this game because it is basically a simulator that exclusively teaches that America's logistics runs on shattering as many laws as possible.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 08:17:18 pm »

Not as good as Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:19:53 pm »

SHIT YEAH, I actually had this game back in the day for reals!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 11:00:40 pm »

Is it wrong that my first thought was "I wonder how in-depth the truckstop simulation is....."?

You enter the RESTROOM STALL. 

Obvious exits are OUT

There is a HOLE in the wall.

What do you do?
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 11:03:49 pm »

There is a HOLE in the wall.

What do you do?

>Ignore the HOLE.

You resolve to not give the hole any further attention.  You see movement through the hole.

>Don't touch ANYTHING.

You opened the door, and now have to leave.  You have already failed.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 11:14:12 pm »

We had a rather lousy Tech Ed teacher, who as part of your middle school coursework gave you one shot at playing this game.  You were graded on how much profit you made on your first play through.  If you lost money you received an F.

Although I was one of the few members of my class who passed, it still stands out as the worst application of technology into learning I can remember.

There is nothing quite like being graded on your ability to navigate a system where the consequences of your choices are only revealed to you upon completion.  It also taught a terrible lesson; if you follow all the laws you will lose all your money and fail.

I do remember there being a rampant rumor that was going around that you shouldn't speed once you get to Ohio
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 11:27:39 pm »

We had a rather lousy Tech Ed teacher, who as part of your middle school coursework gave you one shot at playing this game.  You were graded on how much profit you made on your first play through.  If you lost money you received an F.

Although I was one of the few members of my class who passed, it still stands out as the worst application of technology into learning I can remember.

There is nothing quite like being graded on your ability to navigate a system where the consequences of your choices are only revealed to you upon completion.  It also taught a terrible lesson; if you follow all the laws you will lose all your money and fail.

I do remember there being a rampant rumor that was going around that you shouldn't speed once you get to Ohio

Fuckin' Morrow cops, man.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 11:42:07 pm »

That's fucking rough.  I had a PE coach who did the same thing, only it was PlayStation games.

Anyway.  Fuck Texas.  Gas is more expensive, and my speeding ticket was three times what it was in Arizona.  I have serious doubts about my ability to reach the east coast on time.  I can't drive fifty five...

And I died in Missouri.  Because changing a tire at 10AM leaves me as incapable of driving as staying up all night, apparently.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:46:51 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.