Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glitched fortress  (Read 1413 times)

nur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Glitched fortress
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:04:43 pm »

I have this small site I made in Fortress mode, it was on an aquifer so I didn't build much and abandoned it at a dozen population or so. I've visited it a few times as adventurer and at some point the turns started to get very long there, and now they take forever (the app hangs).
While it worked I met a couple dwarfs from the original fortress there, I don't know if that's normal. Their bio says they left as usual.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:09:16 pm by nur »

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glitched fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:11:15 pm »

I find an FPS drop whenever in an old DF mode fort as well, coupled with long loading times entering and leaving the area. How long do you let the level try to load before calling it a lost cause?

nur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:24:53 pm »

The loading of the area is fine, but as soon as I take a step it hangs.

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 10:37:16 pm »

You have a collection of demons under your fortress.  I don't know why it happens exactly, but when an adventurer goes to a certain area very often, they trigger a spawning of demons in the underworld below them.  I suppose that more come in than leave, eventually leading to a demonic buildup.  If you download Runesmith, you can genocide them to restore your FPS.

nur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 11:12:42 pm »

That was it, thanks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:09:49 pm »

When you abandon a fort, the dwarves "flee into the wilderness," but stick around the fortress until officials from the Mountainhomes appear. They also flee if new people appear. Anyone who might decide to live there, anyways.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

nur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 07:52:33 pm »

Here's something I noticed:

Top right it shows a bit of a cave that's 85 levels down, despite there's no access to it.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 08:04:00 pm »

-Removed for you convenience-
genociding genociders?
only in DF.

We have entered an endless recursion of genocide.

Here's something I noticed:
Spoiler: Image (click to show/hide)
Top right it shows a bit of a cave that's 85 levels down, despite there's no access to it.

The rock looks like slade, perhaps it is showing you Hell, although I have never gotten it as high as -85. I guess it could be low z-level secondary caverns.

nur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:46:30 pm »

Well if I look at the character position in Runesmith the ground here is at 86. I used it teleport down there to look and can confirm it's slade.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 02:06:58 pm by nur »