Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FUN Random Experiences?  (Read 765 times)

ironfist221

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
FUN Random Experiences?
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:49:00 pm »

This is my first post ever on the forums. I've been playing DF for a while and thought I should get involved in the community - So I'm starting with this:
What have you done lately in Dwarf Fortress / related to Dwarf Fortress that was really exciting or memorable?

I just walked through my entire fortress in Minecraft. It was prettycool, trying to identify all the buildings and locations in my fortress. After I ran through my castle and main playing areas, I ventured into the caverns below. The whole time I was expecting a Forgotten beast to pop out of nowhere, or even maybe a snakeman... sadly though all that I ran into was a solitary creeper (in my jail, strangely enough...) the entire time I was exploring.

The weirdest part was when I was down in the first cavern level; Since the game only converted the local playing map to minecraft, the rest was randomized as usual... but the elevation of the randomized section and the converted section of the map didn't match, and I was able to jump out of the cavern down a few levels to the outside world. Other than that everything was normal  :D

Overall, I would recommend trying this DF to Minecraft conversion - you can find it in the DFHack kit.

But anyways, what's your story?
Quote from: Abraham_Lincoln
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it’s difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: FUN Random Experiences?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 10:51:45 pm »

The construction of the fourth DeathMaze wall is finally underway, and construction of the testing facility I've been(very) slowly making progress on is nearing completion, which will allow me to gain further insight into various inquiries I've had for a while now.

Other than that, a fortress of mine became a mountainhome for the first time, so that's neat.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:52:34 am by King DZA »

ironfist221

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 11:58:01 pm »

the testing facility I've been(very) slowly making progress on is nearing completion

Sounds... Diabolical. What do you plan on doing with this Dwarven testing facility?
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it’s difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 12:20:33 am »

Diabolical? Not in the slightest. It was created solely for the attainment of ‼KNOWLEDGE‼. The testing facility, which will probably be given some cool codename like STF001, is composed of two specialized floors, and is located just a few levels above the magma sea. It will be used for gathering information about a variety of things. From observing the how certain creatures react toward eachother when locked in an enclosed space, to finding out how lethal an artifact bone battleaxe can be in the hands of an axelord. And just about anything else I desire further insight about.

Fortunately, years of ambushes, snatching attempts, and sieges have gifted the fortress with plenty of willing subjects, all of which remain in the fortress entirely of their own will, and have have been provided with luxury* accommodations while they await the testing facility's completion. So experimentation will be able to begin immediately after it's finished.

ironfist221

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:24:07 am »

Awesome! This sounds quite elaborate and dwarfy... How long has the project been underway?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:34:45 am »

Several in-game years. Undoubtedly far more time than was necessary. The main problem was trying to think of an easy way to get the subjects back into their luxury* accommodations without risking them escaping hurting themselves.

Of course, things like nobles, military, cavern dwellers, and various other projects meant the testing facility was often put on the back burner.

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 12:48:32 am »

This is sounding a hell of a lot like Aperture labs.

ironfist221

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 12:57:15 am »

So... Would that make King DZA "GLaDORF" ?