Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Immigration  (Read 1223 times)

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Immigration
« on: October 14, 2011, 02:50:35 pm »

Is there a way to stop immigration using the ini's or worldgen without stopping child birth? I keep trying to play a "family" challenge fortress but even if my civilization shows up as having no leaders, no capital ect I still receive third and fourth + waves of immigrants- usually at that point I'm frustrated from trying to stop all the ghosts and try again.

After killing off large waves I'll get a few season's break usually then they start coming in by the dozens again. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 03:19:38 pm »

Find the d_init.txt file in your /data/init folder and open it with notepad. Find [POPULATION_CAP:200] line, and change 200 to your desired cap.
The game checks whether your fort is over the cap before sending in the immigrants, but their number is not dependent on the cap, so you might e.g. have a fort with 19 dwarves and 20 popcap, and still receive 12 dwarves in the next wave.
You can change the cap anytime, but you need to restart the game for it to take effect.
Also, I think you'll always receive at least one immigration wave, regardless of your cap settings.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 03:40:20 pm »

Right, I've tried doing that (as well as through Lazynewbpacks editor) but best I can tell it checks the same before causing a dwarf to become pregnant. If I'm wrong about that and just had horrible luck with pregnancies while trying let me know :)    My overall goal is to have a small number of dwarves (probably initial 7) and over the course of time running the fortress populate it entirely from that point with home grown children as they age.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 04:04:23 pm »

Normally, the pop cap doesn't prevent babies. The baby cap do.

Are your dwarves married?

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:07:36 pm »

Yeah they tend to marry each other in the 3rd or so year. Maybe I just haven't been patient enough for dwarflings to show up while trying with the pop cap down. Thanks for the help, time to give it another go!

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 06:09:24 pm »

You will still get 2 immigration waves though, they come by default.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 06:15:56 pm »

Just a note: Of course my next embark is 7 males...

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »

You should just do what I do to control immigration - Raise the drawbridge and let them all dehydrate whilst taunting them from across the moat with much alcohol fuelled dwarven merriment.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:27:33 pm by person012345 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 08:29:03 am »

Or wall off the entrance...You don't need ANYTHING from the surface. Just let the migrants come and die in fields full of those who came before them as your favored dwarves enjoy fungiwood beds and plump helmets. Maybe have the migrants try to build their own self-sustaining fort in the surface?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.