Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two sorts of games I'm looking for.  (Read 1451 times)

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Two sorts of games I'm looking for.
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:18:58 am »

Anyone remember Robot Arena 2? The game simulated the televised robot combat that had strong popularity early in the new millennium. It featured customizable chassis shapes as well as a healthy selection of parts to cobble together into weapons.
 Sadly, it has fallen behind the times, with failure to run properly starting at Vista. And even during the time of its heyday, the physics system did get awfully glitchy if you got too exploratious with putting together multiple mover parts. It was however fairly robust.

What I'm looking for is a new game that continues the legacy on newer systems, hopefully with more stability and customizability if I'm lucky.

The second game I'm looking for is a simple windowed spectator game, as an example a game where I can plop down some walls and a couple guys with guns and have them battle to the death would be suitible. Optimally it would be something that takes little processing power to run, doesn't require involvement to enjoy, or require constant use of the internet connection.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two sorts of games I'm looking for.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:28:52 am »

That second one does sound pretty sweet... Can't really think of too many, though.
I used to make massive arenas in IVAN's wizardmode, but that requires a bit of doing. I'd like to see what people come up with, though!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:44:55 am »

For game 2, any FPS with bots...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:57:32 am »

Gratuitous Space Battles would be a solid candidate for option 2.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 01:43:37 pm »

Or, for option 2, you can try the Mini Troopers game we have going on for an 80-some-odd page thread around here.

Also seconding Gratutitous Space Battles. Or DF Arena mode. :D

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 02:11:46 pm »

Ah, Robot Arena 2. I would like to see something like it too!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 01:17:11 am »

It's "a little" more involved than just "plop down walls and look", but for the second thing there's always N.E.R.O. Neuro-Evolving Robotic Operatives, a game about creating a team of badass mofos out of guys too stupid to walk around a wall.

For the first, there aren't any direct reimaginings of the concept. You could try a few games of similar age though, like Roboforge. The only game I found that's as close to total design freedom is Kerbal Space Program.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:25:09 am »

Wow, number one sounds like the game I've never thought I wanted.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 05:50:59 am »

To clarify on NERO (here's the link, by the way), if you haven't heard of it, it's a game where you are given "command" of a squad of robots with guns. Unlike similar games where you actually write the artificial intelligence for your units, in this one you simply... educate them. In things like walking in a straight line... walking forward in a straight line... walking straight forward to the target... walking to the target and shooting... and that's before you get to complex situations like walls, enemy fire, and so on. So, while there generally is constant involvement of some sort (you set priorities and targets, pick out well-performing individuals, punish the terminally stupid, etc), most of the time that's all you do. Plop down walls/turrets and look at your treebrained army assault the fortifications, while running around in circles. Backwards. Firing all the time. It's a pretty fun game if you're good at this sort of management and have lots of free time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India