Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Underground Skyscraper  (Read 4854 times)

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Skycraper
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 08:06:50 am »

So, this looks like my next project. The Itzahttp://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93800.0 is half done, and shouldn't take long to finish.  As I am building this thing, I am thinking of inverting the sucker, so it blends well. Gimme a few days, k? If someone has a good embark for it, that'd help.

Cave-ins are fun.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 08:37:24 am »

My current fort is a fixed width and height column dug-dowm / built up on a 1x1 embark, nothing can be constructed outside the boundary walls, its going to be a pillar reaching from the depths to the top of the sky. All i have to do is cut around the outer walls :)

Use the top layer as a reservoir and have some sort of liquid pouring down on all sides. you can build bridges to create an entryway connected to a lever, which disappears behind the falls when it's closed.

Y'know i do have an quifer surrounding my fort going to waste as a moat....
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-28193-welcometogorgecrypt

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 09:21:27 am »

The Siberian diamond mine is also bloody awesome.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Skyscraper
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 11:11:50 am »

I built a fort where I hollowed out a good portion of the underground but then left some massive natural stone pillars which I carved into towers within the massive artificial cavern.

The fortress had a very open form and dwarves could walk anywhere with a huge amount of open room. It was an entirely non-linear sort of fortress. It was an interesting design, but I was unhappy with it. It just wasn't grand enough.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 11:44:10 am »

Are we putting a concrete and steel saarlac in there too?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 01:28:10 pm »

Well, it's a nice concept, but it'd never work in Mexico City. The city is built on an old lake, so I suspect the water table is pretty close to the ground. They'd be pumping like crazy constantly, just to keep it from flooding. Plus I like that it supposedly allows "natural lighting and ventilation", but has a glass floor at the top. So much for ventilation. And I doubt they'll get much light at the bottom. Maybe at noon for a few days around the summer solstice, since Mexico City is south of the Tropic of Cancer.

But it would work just fine in DF, if the caverns will cooperate (or if the world is genned with the proper parameters).
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 03:10:14 pm »

I like the idea, but honestly Mexico City is not the place to be doing anything like this, especially not anytime in the near future.

I've done something similar in DF many times; I rather like it. The floor becomes the meeting hall with the other structures of the fortress surrounding the walls. This is how dwarves build 'towers', and from whence their word for tower would likely be derived (and our above-ground spires would be an inverted dwarven tower.) A vertical shaft surrounded on all sides by living or work space.

But I love that Russian design. I don't care about making everything unbelievably beautiful and shiny white with curves all over just for the sake of spending large sums of cash on pretty prancy pony crap; it just needs to be clean and well-maintained (and well designed! Don't want it collapsing afterall.) I really love the general idea of it. The necessary architecture would inevitably involve plenty of curves for the curve-and-spike-and-white-plasticy-crap fanatics modern art lovers.
I would be just as happy building houses into the cliff faces instead, and draining water that collects to lower elevations if possible. Pit mines are unbelievably huge after all, and the damned elves just expect us to toss a shitload of material back in instead of letting it naturally fill with sediment washed in by rainwater (which could alternatively become a reservoir for our use, with a little cleanup). Why not use them in other ways?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 [2]