Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recovering adventure mode items in fortressmode?  (Read 1746 times)

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
Recovering adventure mode items in fortressmode?
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:26:23 am »

I know you can visit and loot your abandoned fortresses, but can you also leave items in adventure mode at a location and then recover them when you embark there?  If so, how would you go about doing this? I recently had a fortress wiped out by an FB that slipped through my defenses and the ensuing tantrum spiral when I was distracted mining out candy.  Got almost 1,000 of the raw and half a hundred wafers still sitting there, but the site itself was pretty worthless with no ironor flux and really deep magma, so I don't consider it worth reclaiming.  Would like to save the loot though =p
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Recovering adventure mode items in fortressmode?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:39:02 am »

you can and with the technology out there you can prevent items from scattering around in your fortsite so adventurers can dump adventure butcher meat for the fortress to live off of.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:34:43 pm »

Nice,thanks  8)
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 03:05:39 pm »

I know you can visit and loot your abandoned fortresses, but can you also leave items in adventure mode at a location and then recover them when you embark there?  If so, how would you go about doing this? I recently had a fortress wiped out by an FB that slipped through my defenses and the ensuing tantrum spiral when I was distracted mining out candy.  Got almost 1,000 of the raw and half a hundred wafers still sitting there, but the site itself was pretty worthless with no ironor flux and really deep magma, so I don't consider it worth reclaiming.  Would like to save the loot though =p

Using an adventurer to move goods from one embark to another. It's like some sort of Dwarven Pony Express.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 03:46:36 pm »

Indeed.

However, you will probably be best off embarking at the desired site, using dfhack's DFlair to make it a lair, and abandoning, then moving the adamantine over to the abandoned site and dropping it by the door or something. If you just drop crap in the wilderness, outside the bounds of any sort of site, then embark there, you could lose it all to the wilds; the game appears to just dump items and creatures in the wilderness from the memory completely when you leave the area, excluding historical figures. I'm not sure if DFlair or other utilities can reliably and safely(bug-free wise) mark it as a site and prevent loss of items.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:23:56 am »

Another small question... is there a reliable way to find your fortresses in adventure mode, or view a full world map?  I'm playing a Large world, and the quest map isn't big enough that I can see even any of the named biomes near my old fort.  Plus the terrain representation's all different.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 12:48:17 am »

It is difficult, but possible. The quest map displays everything at the same scale as the most basic one exported from legends mode, so it would be easiest to copy your save, load the copy, retire/die and open the world in legends mode, then press 'p' to export a basic map and gen info. Find your old fort on that map, and then find the local landforms you see on your quest map to figure out where you are. Then just navigate from point A to Point B. Safest to go with a few companions and use towns/known caves as much as possible, so every time you're in a town ask about your surroundings and look for caves en-route to the fort.

Then navigate to the desired fort location, if you survive the journey. :P

The quest map is only displaying the land area your civilization (the one you spawn in, so most likely human) has influence in, and what you've explored since starting, by the way. There's virtually no chance of spotting old forts on it if you didn't explicitly start nearby. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:33:50 am »

Thanks!  That helps a lot.  Kinda reminds me of this multiplayer minecraft game I played on a 1:100scale map of Earth, trying to find our way to New York... sitting there with  globe on my desk trying to figure out where the hell we were before getting overrun by zombies in Bolivia.... but I digress.

It does seem though that no matter what human civ I pick at the beginning I always start in about the same place.  Well,we'll see how it goes!