Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do mechanisms work in adventure mode?  (Read 2374 times)

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do mechanisms work in adventure mode?
« on: October 12, 2011, 07:15:10 am »

I ask because I'm thinking about a dungeon with walls (floodgates) that move (open and close) according to a hidden system of channels and pressure plates. Possibly with rooms that can suddenly close up and fill with water/magma.  My current fort has an excellent supply of water and mechanics, as well as some empty levels, and this would make for an excellent project.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Do mechanisms work in adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:24:27 am »

Well, traps like weapon traps and cage traps still work, but you can't operate levers.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:01:00 am »

Well, traps like weapon traps and cage traps still work, but you can't operate levers.
Not quite.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Adventurer_mode#Searching_and_Manipulating

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 01:10:02 pm »

Not quite.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Adventurer_mode#Searching_and_Manipulating

Wow, thanks!  I've looked, and I never noticed the 'u' button before!  Awesome :)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 02:51:15 pm »

Then how did you type up your opening post?  :P

Yeah, mechanisms work in adventure mode. A while back there was a thread based on making amazing dungeons for your adventurer to explore, utilizing pressure plates, levers and mechanisms. I'll see if I can find the thread again.

EDIT: Merely searching for adventure dungeons turns up a whole score of them. I can't find the specific one I wanted though...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:54:09 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:10:46 am »

Mechanisms do work in Adventure mode, but levers are the only ones that can be interacted with, by default. I think you can set all traps to work in Adventure mode by changing something in he init.txt files, but if you do that, traps won't appear in plain sight for you, and you can get permanently caged in a cage trap (no way to escape yet).
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 02:57:29 am »

Mechanisms do work in Adventure mode, but levers are the only ones that can be interacted with, by default. I think you can set all traps to work in Adventure mode by changing something in he init.txt files, but if you do that, traps won't appear in plain sight for you, and you can get permanently caged in a cage trap (no way to escape yet).
if you hold on to a ignated item or a material that worns items around it you can whittle away any cage and free your self.
though this means for beginner modders having to mod in a stone that super hot to burn through wooden cages with out killing the player. once free from the cage announcements will catch up with you on everything that was done during your time lock up.
though you can always grab runesmith and remove the cage flag on the character to regain access. though better destroy the cage(ill advised to grab the cage holding your self for chance of crashing the game.) or else you might(die then) randomly body swap to another creature if you walk to far away. 
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 03:38:16 am »

Yes, I have had problems with traps in the past, but I guess none of the fortresses I have visited with traps enabled have had any interesting automatic dungeon features. 

Hmm, I have a fortress with a dragon cave, which I couldn't open because I didn't know about the 'u' key.  Time for another attempt, maybe ^