Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin recycling?  (Read 1316 times)

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin recycling?
« on: October 09, 2011, 07:30:32 pm »

I have three questions about how sieges interact with civilization populations:

1. Are units in a siege drawn from civilization site populations? I understand that most enemy units in sieges are only given names when they're generated, but does having "x" goblins attack your fortress subtract "x" goblins from the population of the local dark fortress? I seem to recall reading that this is the case, but I can't find verification.

2. When enemy units flee from a siege, do they go back into the civilization site population? Alternately, are enemy units only subtracted from civilization populations if they are killed, but not if they escape?

3. If the answer to 1 and 2 is yes, wouldn't that imply that you could actually harvest more goblinite over the lifetime of a long-lived fort by stripping and releasing enemy soldiers? (Goblins that have committed crimes like killing civilians or kidnapping babies would still face justice, of course.)

I'll admit, I did stumble upon this line of thinking skimming one of the many "dwarves are evil" threads, wondering what it might take to build a more..."protagonistic" fortress. However, since I prefer the sin of greed to wrath,  (in DF, anyway,) I'm now wondering if acts of mercy might be used to game the system, keeping sieges large and therefore "importing" more metal.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:47:01 pm by Blue_J »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Goblin recycling?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 08:23:50 pm »

Due to a bug in the current version of DF, when an entity member leaves the map they cease to be part of that entity.  So even if you release your stripped goblins, they don't return to their civilization.

However, it's irrelevant, since there seems to be no limit to how many goblins can show up to attack you.  Named individuals are limited in supply, but the majority of the goblins attacking are generated as needed when they enter the map.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:39:14 pm »

Named individuals are limited in supply, but the majority of the goblins attacking are generated as needed when they enter the map.

Really??
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 08:44:17 pm »

Due to a bug in the current version of DF, when an entity member leaves the map they cease to be part of that entity.  So even if you release your stripped goblins, they don't return to their civilization.

However, it's irrelevant, since there seems to be no limit to how many goblins can show up to attack you.  Named individuals are limited in supply, but the majority of the goblins attacking are generated as needed when they enter the map.

Huh. Well, I guess that answers that. Thanks!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »

Huh. Well, I guess that answers that. Thanks!
Agreed!
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:52 pm »

I belive they are deducted from the total population of that civ, but aside from that they are indeed genned on spot.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?