Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cages?  (Read 669 times)

Kurtisk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cages?
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:46:07 pm »

I'm very confused about cages.  How do I move hostile animals and creatures caught in cage traps without them getting out?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Cages?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 01:00:46 pm »

Build the animal's cage next to another built cage (the closer they are, the better), then select the empty cage, hit {a}ssign creature, and select the hostile creature you want moved into it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 01:05:08 pm »

Mostly, you don't.  You can build a cage in a dead in hallway and then a cage trap beside it, and lever operate the cage so the creature escapes and then gets caught in the other cage.  I've done this to transfer valuable creatures into masterwork golden cages.  My dining hall can't have a hydra sitting in a wooden box!  It needs gem encrusted gold!

You can order a creature to be moved to another cage/pasture/pit, but there's some rules.
Tame animals always transfer fine.
Captured prisoners transfer fine, but will be attacked by any active military en route (including caravan guards).
Wild animals will always escape immediately, but can be moved to a directly adjacent tile (ie, build the cage right beside another cage).
Captured thieves and babysnatchers will always escape, same as wild animals.  A goblin spearman is fine, but a goblin thief will escape.
If the hauler is interrupted, they will calm down and grab a tame animal to put it back.  Most wild animals and prisoners will cause subsequent job cancels and ruin any attempt to recapture.  Sometimes dwarves will manage to re-capture a thief that if fleeing to the map's edge, and then successfully drag them to the new cage, but this isn't reliable.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 01:17:40 pm »

Also, soldiers can be quite fun if you don't strip them of everything, because in that case they'll put up a better fight.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 01:27:23 pm »

Although they still act like captured prisoners - they run away, but if they encounter anyone they fight on their way out.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 03:00:01 pm »

I'm slightly confused about the problem you're having, Kurtisk1; is it that you want to pull the animal/invader out of the cage and somewhere else, or trying to move the cage?

Moving the cage itself is easy; designate an animal stockpile somewhere you want your prisoners stored, and any filled cages will automatically be brought there (assuming there's space). I would have at least as many spare cages as active cage traps, to ensure that the traps can be reset while you deal with the current batch of trapped individuals.

Taking them out, as discussed already, is more dangerous depending on what you have. Wild animals can be tamed by someone with the Animal Trainer labor on by designating a large animal to be tamed from a Kennel; some animals and creatures cannot be tamed without a Dungeon Master, which currently doesn't function properly; this can be changed with modding.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 05:34:04 pm »

Though this is a slight change in topic - I had a captured war grizzly from elves give birth in a cage so I tamed the baby grizzlies and let them out the cage.... everyone is running away from them / the military are now trying to kill them. I wanted awesome war grizzlies  :'( do they have to have been fully trained  assigned to a dwarf so they can roam free?
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 05:35:56 pm »

So they've finally done it. Those god-forsaken elves have finally got dwarf killing hard-coded into their animals DNA!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 05:37:01 pm »

If an invader gives birth and is tamed, then they do not attack, but they still cause normal civilian panic and military aggression.  I tried to get pet elves, didn't work either...

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 05:43:18 pm »

My poor baby grizzlies :( I had plans for them!

I guess death it is though!

damn you elves!
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 05:45:07 pm »

Captured prisoners transfer fine, but will be attacked by any active military en route (including caravan guards).
Your own military will not attack prisoners of war while they are being led to a cage/chain/pit zone; however, caravan guards will certainly attack them (if my memory serves - they definitely did this back in 40d).

Also, if you're trying to move a hostile creature to a cage or restraint, only dwarves with the "Animal Training" labor enabled will actually do it. Pitting hostiles, however, will be done by anybody.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 05:48:48 pm »

Now, how do the third-gen invader descendants act?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 06:02:54 pm »

Select cage for dump, drop in volcano with the prisoner still in. or set them all up to be lever opened and sic your captured FB on them.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!