Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I find lava/magma/coal?  (Read 862 times)

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
How can I find lava/magma/coal?
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:36:13 am »

Well now that I have learned ASCII graphics I can focus on my next big question, finding the fun stuff. I have found coal in multiple playthroughs, but never ever magma. I wouldn't mind some tips on what levels to look for magma and coal, because right now I need my super happy fun kit of iron and steel.
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find lava/magma/coal?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:00:45 am »

Well, magma can be found in veins through rock, and there is ALWAYS a magma "sea" very far down in your map. If you really want to find them, try using dfhacks, but digging deep enough will eventually make you bump into magma.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:11:20 am »

Well not cheatingly: Dig, down.

Cheating: DFhack. First run prospector to see if lignite/bituminous coal exists. Then run Dfreveal and go find it. Easier said than done!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 04:14:04 am »

Coal tends to be somewhat rare in the latest version, but can be found in sedimentary layer stone. These tend to be more towards the surface and include sandstone, chert, siltstone, conglomerate, and mudstone along with a few others. Generally speaking, if it's a brown layer stone (that isn't schist) or a white layer stone (that isn't marble or quartzite), you might find coal in it.

Magma, on the other hand, should always be available. The easiest way to find it is to dig down to the Magma Sea, which should lie roughly five levels or so above the lowest possible z-level. There's a chance that you will find a Magma Pool in a cavern level, which allow easier access to magma, and is basically a volcano without surface access.

The other option is to find a volcano, which is the only way to find magma on the surface.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:16:05 am by Ubiq »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:02:35 am »

Funnily enough the map im on now has three. One major one at the surface, one pool/tube in cavern layer 1 and the same in cavern layer 2. Cavern layer 3 remains devoid of magma unless i was inclined to burninate it artficially
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:21:46 am »

You don't find magma. Magma finds you.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 05:49:49 am »

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, DWARF CHASE MAGMA

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 05:52:35 am »

IN SOVIET RUSSIA, DWARF CHASE MAGMA

You'd be surprised how many Soviet engineering projects were about as dwarven as it gets without turning into a hairy midget.

Also, nobody has yet pointed out that you could just clear cut everything and turn it into charcoal. On large enough maps, you may even not need magma at all unless you run 20 forges at once.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:54:08 am by LordSlowpoke »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 05:53:26 am »

It was mentioned, actually...Ubiq: The other option is to find a volcano, which is the only way to find magma on the surface.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 09:55:43 am »

When genning the world set volcano X/Y variance to 3200 and the minimum volcano number to 60. You will get perfectly flat plains with volcanos, weird sedimentary layers around your volcano, or sheer, perfectly spherical magma tubes ascending into the sky. :D