Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few small suggestions concerning realistic and enjoyable gameplay.  (Read 989 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pregnancy: As it is right now, a Dwarf, when pregnant, goes about its business as normal, then suddenly spits out a baby. No. There is not an animal on earth, however badass, that can do that. I propose that Dwarves, when first pregnant, go about as normal. A third of the way through, they begin eating, drinking, sleeping, and breaking more. In the last third, they go 'rest' in a hospital until birth.

Families & Dwarves in the military: Could code be implemented that prevents female military Dwarves from getting pregnant as an option; "Celebate Military Dwarves on/off." When on, military Dwarves wouldn't become/get others pregnant. No need to worry about kids being dragged into battle and then having a soldier tantruming and possibly killing another Dwarf.

Hunting: I have seen a Dwarf fire a bolt into a Yak's knee, cripple it, then waste the remaining shots wounding it, and then getting more ammo to come back and find that the animal has bled out, and will not be picked up. I have several suggestions to remedy this.
1 - Dwarves get closer to prey while shooting to increase accuracy.
2 - A Dwarf that gets more ammo returns to finish off the animal it had previously attacked.
3 - A Dwarf can recognize when an animal corpse is its handiwork, and will treat it as a fresh kill (if it's still fresh).

Realgar & Orpiment: Ores of Arsenic. They're already in the game, just add in the metal and the reactions. Boom. Arsenic metal and Arsenical Bronze. Great way to get a decent, cheap metal with Copper. I've made my own code for this, as have others. It couldn't take more than five minutes, but would make Igneous/Metamorphic maps much easier to survive on.

Blood, Pus, Vomit, and other nastiness: This stuff eventually (within a month or a season, depending on the amount) dries up, flakes off, and disappears from the screen. Nobody likes having their beautiful hall messed up by a puddle of goblin blood that doesn't go away.

Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: A few small suggestions concerning realistic and enjoyable gameplay.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:46:09 am »

Pregnancy: As it is right now, a Dwarf, when pregnant, goes about its business as normal, then suddenly spits out a baby. No. There is not an animal on earth, however badass, that can do that. I propose that Dwarves, when first pregnant, go about as normal. A third of the way through, they begin eating, drinking, sleeping, and breaking more. In the last third, they go 'rest' in a hospital until birth.

Considering the fact that Dwarves drink enough to kill themselves daily, I think it's safe to say they feel little pain. And their babies are super Dwarven.

Zoomulator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 05:57:02 am »

Morning sickness?

Celibacy for military would be excellent. Though an unhappy thought could arise "for living in celibacy". No one's happy without the good stuff.

Hm, the hunting issue though... have you tried setting the option "gather refuse from outside"? Set up a refuge stockpile by your butcher, set only to corpses, and your haulers should bring the bled out beast to that stockpile if the refuse option is set.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 12:50:32 pm »

I like all of these, as well as the celibacy giving unhappy thoughts one.  contaminants eventually drying up would be a wonderful addition.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 06:05:11 pm »

Dry blood syndromes? Lovely.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 06:26:49 pm »

If I was capable of giving birth, I bet I'd totally be able to do that.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 06:31:17 pm »

Let's no overmedicalize pregnancy. For 99% of history, births happened at home. Since we have no birth complications (yet), it's pointless to involve the hospital. Let them rest at home (and even then, only the last month or so until they are able to differentiate between light labour like bookkeeping and weaving and heavy labour like rock hauling and mining).
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.