Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Favorite material  (Read 3034 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite material
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2011, 05:05:44 pm »

Wood: Anything I can get my mitts on.
Metal: Iron.
Stone: Any stone that does not have a bright colour. Microcline is nice in small amounts, but unlike Tevish Szat, my young 13-year-old eyes hurt like mad when I look at large amounts of an extremely bright colour. No, I do NOT have epilepsy, fortunately.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2011, 05:15:24 pm »

Really?   Maybe it's not my age but my cave computer adaption that protects me from the pain others feel at microcline, then.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2011, 05:17:30 pm »

Ice, man.  I LOVE ice.

If there's ever a plentiful water source on a map which freezes, the entire aboveground section of the fortress will be constructed of it, no matter how many years or how much of a pain in the neck it is to finish.

I really like nethercap, too; I routinely plow through the lower caverns with the military to clear a path for the loggers to collect as much of the stuff as possible.  The best dwarves get nethercap beds, and I replace all barrels with nethercap ones as the logs start flowing in.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2011, 05:20:47 pm »

I really like nethercap, too; I routinely plow through the lower caverns with the military to clear a path for the loggers to collect as much of the stuff as possible.  The best dwarves get nethercap beds, and I replace all barrels with nethercap ones as the logs start flowing in.

It's brilliant when you manage to skip caverns 1 and 2 somehow and breach 3... I did it and didn't bother going back up, because breaching C3 only meant more nether cap (and bloodthrons for my arena floor/massively impractical danger room) from my tree farm.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2011, 05:51:04 pm »

Really?   Maybe it's not my age but my cave computer adaption that protects me from the pain others feel at microcline, then.
Maybe. Perhaps it's my intolerance for bright light in general.

Sorry if I'm de-railing the thread. Again.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2011, 09:46:24 pm »

Candy, hornblende/pitchblende. Failing that, whatever the hell is handy (Though i have a soft spot for making furniture purely out of pecious metals and creating Bling Fortress)
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2011, 12:05:57 am »

I really like steel. It's so useful. My mayor seems to like Slade though. I may need to do something about that.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2011, 12:32:29 am »

I like obsidian... it's a nice non-color, worth more than most other stones and easily produced in unlimited quantities when magma and water are available. I don't like having too many multi-colored constructions and digging out lots of the same stone in quarries is somewhat annoying, so making my own stone is the most practical solution.

I also like green glass for the same reason. I usually only use it for decorations (floor mosaics, windows, greenhouse ceilings) and some furniture, though... building a whole above ground city out of glass just feels wrong unless the main theme is "Wizard of Oz".

Adamantine is fine too, but rarely used for (more or less) obvious reasons. The other cyan colored rock simply isn't a substitute.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2011, 02:04:10 am »

I like marble and limestone, somehow i feel like i'm cheating if i use any other stones for constructions, metals i like bronze or brass. :D
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2011, 02:29:38 am »

The only real material ive ever struck i microline :(
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2011, 01:42:06 pm »

I like microcline too, it has a really pretty colour. Limestone is my absolute number one, though. The clean, white colour and it's double value make it my favourite choice for bedroom and dining room areas.

Bloodthorn is my favorite wood. Bloody looking beds are awesome!  :P Beside that I like willows too, just because I like them in real life.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]