Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there a program like dwarf therapist...  (Read 2285 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a program like dwarf therapist...
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 06:29:53 pm »

However, if you know your soldier's names it is easier to queue a memorial slab so you don't have to retrieve their corpse. If they have one.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 08:05:46 pm »

My main issue with the military screen (among lots of things) is that you can't get to the "unit" screen from the military screen. I'm forever scrolling through the massive list of names trying to find an individual that I have recent found to have a mace preference and rapid healing, but is buried in the middle of the list.

Some extension of "therapist" for making squads would be awesome.
I get around this by screening every migrant and assigning squads (or at least, placeholder custom job names) whenever I find candidates.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 08:10:04 pm »

Bonus points for placing a useless set of pumps and having military migrants become pump operators, then they're easy to find in their bright orange!

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »

Super dorfen bonus :: Drowning all new migrants in lava, so that they are easy to find in their dark purple!
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 02:10:35 am »

The only problem I ever see with the default screen is that it lets you assign squad members from another squad, which can mess up a carefully planned group of soldiers.  Use of Therapist to assign nicknames can solve this, though.  If only Therapist allowed you to mass nickname...

It tells you if they're in a squad when you put the cursor on them. I stopped having issues when I noticed that.

What I think it needs is a way to look at what each squad member is wearing, and what skills they have.
[Signature]

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 01:14:15 pm »

I've gotten in the habit of turning on the alchemy skill in Dwarf Therapist for each soldier. It's a handy tag that doesn't have any effect in the game.

When new migrants come in, I screen them and turn off any skills that I don't want them using. "So, you're a level 6 weaver? I've already got a level 9 weaver, so no weaving for you! Next! You're a level 8 gem cutter? Our current Gem cutter is only level 4, so you get the job and he becomes a hauler." So only the best person has the skill enabled for most tasks. Exceptions are made for things like mining, wood cutting, stone detailing, etc.

When I decide to draft new soldiers, I select the Group By "Total Assigned Labors" setting in Therapist. Anyone with 11 assigned labors has only the default hauling, cleaning and nursing skills. They're my candidates for the draft. Before I started turning on alchemy for soldiers, they would also end up with 11 labors and it was a pain figuring out who was an off-duty soldier. But with alchemy turned on , they now have 12 labors and it's easy to tell them apart.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 02:24:19 pm »

I tend to just re-title the professions of all of my soldiers as "Squad 1","Squad 2", etc. Then I can easily pick them out on the military menu and I don't need to worry about accidentally assigning soldiers already in a squad to another squad. Combine this with the sort by profession setting and I can also easily view all of my soldiers at once. It would be pretty awesome to have a program like this though, especially if it was designed to work on mac's as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2]