Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Community Game: Datankular, The Ironthrone  (Read 1626 times)

Vynadan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Community Game: Datankular, The Ironthrone
« on: September 25, 2011, 10:32:04 am »

Hey ho to all of you.
I've been stalking the DF forums for quite a while and only now decided to register and start a community fort.
I'm a (hobby) author of both fantasy and science fiction and the randomness DF can give for a story is on par with any human imagination; The idea had lurked in my mind for a while now.
My playstyle is more of a clueless constructor: I use scripts and mods heavily and really love to do some PvE and construct awesome awful constructions, but the problem with that is that I can get bored quite easily once my plans are done (which with the help of scripts can happen quite fast). To motivate me I want to do this community game - make it public and enjoyable for the community so that my interest doesn't wane. As I'm no native speaker it'll also practice my English - so please feel free to point out weird sounding phrases and errors. I'll focus heavily on the narrative and I'll most likely update only at the weekends / once a week. So I'm in this for the long run.
I'll refrain from using runesmith and most dfhack scripts, but I'll still be embarking with the maximum of embark points and keep my mods in.

Modifications:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quickjumps:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:56:36 am by Vynadan »

Vynadan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Community Game: Datankular, The Ironthrone
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:32:40 am »

The World:

The Dwarves:
(Yeah, although they were all wiped out in 87 they reclaimed the mountainhome of Girderhold in 1285, even though it was half the world map away from their original kingdom and doesn't have any populace remaining as of 1286.)

The Seven:

The Introduction:

These seven are the remainders of the expedition. The so far un-named axemen fought vailiantly in the skirmish against the goblins and was the main reason for the group to be able to escape. Immigrants could be further refugees from The Tame Volcano, dwarves from The Tame Palisade or even survivors of the Long-post of Covers, whom did survive with a few nomad tribes of dwarves roaming both the caverns and the surface world (although this is unknown to our seven brave dwarves). I'll write about the caravans and from what dwarven nation they come from when they arrive. The ruins aren't ment to imply a reclaim, but are my explanation for 250 obsidian blocks I embarked with to start eracting a tower right away. The Ironthrone. I also have plans for the liason and a rough plot outline. For the Ironthrone, new hope to revitalise dwarfdom in this forsaken world!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:27:06 am by Vynadan »

Vynadan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:33:10 am »

A list of Dorfs:

A list of Dorfables:

The waiting list:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:57:01 am by Vynadan »

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 11:42:38 am »

I'll take Rovod. Dorf him/her as Yerp please.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:52:52 am »

I'll take the miner. Name him Aussieevil and if possible give him the title Digger.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

Vynadan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 02:03:09 pm »

An overview of the valley:

Excerpts from the journal of Ghinn Omergoden

Notes from Sharrie Cuggannish
While Sharrie has no formal journal, she can often be seen chiseling away on small rocks. Although masonry is her trade and love, she has trouble planing a construction ahead properly. She imagines this tower, however, to be her upcoming masterwork and furiously thinks of plans with the help of quick drawings to compensate.

New Dorf details:

It's now the beginning of summer, but I'll sadly have to call it a weekend now.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:50:40 am by Vynadan »

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:10:48 am »

The Iron Throne? Is this a coincidence or...

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 07:28:23 am »

I'll take Cerol. I'll try to write something for his personality later.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 01:49:14 pm »

Posting to watch. I like the story you have going here.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vynadan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 04:55:45 am »

Parchment background

Cheveux:

Excerpts from the journal of Ghinn Omergoden

I've run into the problem that I can't make blocks out of raw obsidian. Even with civilization forge it's still marked as a non-economic stone (in the stockpile menus), but I can't even find it in the z-stone menu. It's literally not there. My guess would be that it isn't listed because I haven't discovered any obsidian naturally yet, but then again there's (= z->stone) all kinds of stone listed that I haven't uncovered yet either. I wanted to build at least the entire ground floor out of obsidian for colour reasons, but I guess I won't be able to do that now.
Posting this mini update in hope for ideas concerning this bug(?). I had hoped to get the first migrants or complete this year before the next post, but oh well. The migrants and caravan will be fully narrated in short stories. (As will be anything truly noteworthy)
Gonna get a new update online tomorrow (at the latest) regardless of the bug.

Pan: Nope, set the name myself if you're refering to that.

The plans (especially those floors still marked with a question mark in the translated version) are open for comments both here and from any dorf willing to write something  ;D

Also: Woo Mephansteras! Love yer mod xD
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:58:21 am by Vynadan »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 12:56:38 pm »

Ushrir Alekkikrost.
GIMME GIMME GIMME :D
Nickname 'Loud Whispers', don't care about the rest ^_^

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 01:22:39 pm »

Hmmm. Could you post the save? Maybe one of us can help figure out what's going on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vynadan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 11:39:32 am »

A dive into the raws revealed ... nothing. This world uses identical raws as two others do, in both of which I have used obsidian for furniture and obsidian appearing in the z-menu. Booting up those two world revealed the interesting lack of obsidian in this menu, however. One world where I have eight obsidian tables and thrones in my dining hall now refuses to use obsidian for any non-economic use ...

So reverting my latest change to the raws (namely adding titanium and cobalt metal + reactions) fixed it. A newly genned world revealed 'rock' tiles which I presume to be the result of failed titanium raws. However, these changes were made to the DF raws and not the world specific ones - Yet cobaltite and titanium appeared in the z-menu of the old worlds. I didn't know origin-raw changes could retroactivly impact already created worlds?

Anyway, this sadly time intensive self-induced bug hunt gobbled some of my play time and with the upcoming migrants I doubt I'll have time to do a proper update today =/

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 11:59:50 am »

I think Pan is getting at the fact that the main Villainy of the first Baldur's Gate game was called the Iron Throne. Which makes this all that much more awesome.

I'd also like to have the Mechanical Farmer dorfed as Ortho the Unyielding.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 07:28:54 am »

I think Pan is getting at the fact that the main Villainy of the first Baldur's Gate game was called the Iron Throne. Which makes this all that much more awesome.

I'd also like to have the Mechanical Farmer dorfed as Ortho the Unyielding.

I was actually referring to the Iron Throne from the HBO series, A Game of Thrones.