Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [176.38b] Sheriff: store item or save the dwarves?  (Read 412 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
[176.38b] Sheriff: store item or save the dwarves?
« on: March 07, 2008, 07:12:00 am »

I had a dwarf that went berserk because I couldn't find a turtle shell for her (in winter, mind you, when everything is frozen or snow-covered). My sheriff was nearby and I expected her to go tackle the loon. Instead, she hid with a group of dwarves who were cowering at the end of the hall. The game said that she "cancels Store Item" because of the loon. Surely, that can't be right? Shouldn't the sheriff automatically drop the store job and start cracking skulls? That berserk dwarf could have killed someone!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [176.38b] Sheriff: store item or save the dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

Actually, the sheriff / captain of the guard is a civilian.  It's a desk job.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »

Then er.. what's the point, exactly? I don't get it. The sheriff has to do something to arrest people...

The sheriff has combat options like they are already military personnel and I remember in an old version that my sheriff was pretty quick to deal with a miscreant.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 03:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lightman:
<STRONG>Then er.. what's the point, exactly? I don't get it. The sheriff has to do something to arrest people...</STRONG>

The sheriff is fat off cat tallow biscuits.  He arrests cooperative miscreants.  Dealing with a murderous berserker is a job for the SWAT team (or the SLICE or the PUNCTURE team, whatever).  If you draft the sheriff, he can be part of your army.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

Hi!

Mmmhhh, I also remember from the 2d version that the sheriff moved in and fought off chasm creatures. So, if he no longer takes an active role like that, it must be a relatively recent change.

Deathworks

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
<STRONG>Hi!

Mmmhhh, I also remember from the 2d version that the sheriff moved in and fought off chasm creatures. So, if he no longer takes an active role like that, it must be a relatively recent change.

Deathworks</STRONG>

Interesting.  Since 33f, my sheriff / captain has always been an office type.  Other guards do fight (except that typically I "promote" those recruits that got crippled early in training, and I give them my worst gear -- and that's the ranks I get my sheriff from, so he's actually military).

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

Hi!

Okay, I haven't seen any potential action for the sheriff in the 3d version, so I have to assume that it did indeed change from 2d to 3d at some point.

This is actually a bit of information which is quite important for me since I usually rely on traps, caravan guards, and my sheriff for fortress defense ... Time to reconsider my defenses, I guess (^_^;;

Thanks.

Deathworks

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 04:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

The sheriff is fat off cat tallow biscuits.  He arrests cooperative miscreants.  Dealing with a murderous berserker is a job for the SWAT team (or the SLICE or the PUNCTURE team, whatever).  If you draft the sheriff, he can be part of your army.</STRONG>

Hmm, yeah. I guess that's fair enough. Thanks for the info.  :)

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 05:37:00 am »

The Sheriff is just a military dwarf in disguise. I always give a Recruit the position of Sheriff, and not long ago saw him spar for a bit, then head back towards his room - but he spotted a fey-mood-berserker before he got inside. They fought, and the Sheriff died, in spite of superior stats and skills.

Although you can't station him, so he's a bit less useful..

My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.