Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [33g] Human Wagon bypasses Fortress, Merchants turn up a  (Read 464 times)

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
[33g] Human Wagon bypasses Fortress, Merchants turn up a
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:16:00 pm »

Now, it's been awhile since I last reached this point, but I've just had Human Merchants appear on screen, followed immediately by the message that they are bypassing my site.

Despite that, they then wander through my second entrance(2 wide) and proceed to trade with me at the depot near the front gate.

Traded with dwarves no problem, elves I offended, immigrants were later than I expected(didn't turn up until second year). Fortress located near centre of map, facing east...but everyone of course is arriving from the west on the hills above my front gate. Oh, and my Depot claims to be accessible, so I hadn't built any roads or smoothed any stone in the direction the merchants arrived from.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [33g] Human Wagon bypasses Fortress, Merchants turn up a
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »

I assume they brought mules, then? If they can't find a path from the edge to your depot, they don't send the 3x3 wagons, and instead send their mules. And camels.

ChaosFollowing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chaosfollowing.com
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »

Ahhh....I wondered if that were the case.

I had vague memories of the humans ditching me entirely last time it happened, which is why I wasn't sure.

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:23:00 am »

Shift-D and see if theres any problems with the location of your depot. you may need to smooth stone or dig out some trees to make things all nice nice for the wagons.

DMofDOOM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://dmofdoom.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

Here's something fun, I had guessed the Humans would show up in the same spot the Dwarf Traders had. I built the nice road, had ramps for the wagons (wasn't sure if they would work but wanted to test before building LOTS of walls and floor to get a flat road). The Humans showed up, on the same level that I started on and in the south instead of the west, not where the road is at all. I thought it would be a problem but they evidently found a path through all the rough stone (they did make a lot of turns along the way), the fun bit is that they then made a left hand turn down one z-level and proceeded along the road to the trade depot. I'm upgrading to the latest version to see if it happens again in the next round of Human trading.
f only they knew, they''d either be laughing or groaning....

Yourself

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:35:00 pm »

For me the merchants with mules always show up.  If my depot is accessible the wagons come as well.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:47:00 pm »

Never assume that the human wagons will show up where the dwarves did, after all if the human town is NORTH of you and dwarven town is SOUTH, then guess what?
Dwarves will come from the south and the humans the north.
Brilliant, innit?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »

To have merchants to follow a road, build walls or dig channels around it leading up to the edge of the map and make certain that is the only path to the trade depot.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-2701-causeway
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

DMofDOOM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://dmofdoom.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

Holy rocket powered all-terrain wagons of DOOM!!!!

Red, that is severe.

Results are "inconclusive." I updated to .33g and loaded up and played through another year, the wagons came from the south side again but this time entered in a space that is on the same z-level as the trade depot, I'm not sure about large rocks but those wagons crossed a bunch of up ramps to traverse a narrow area on that z-level and then crossed the brook. They did finally turn left on the real road (thus no left turn through the floor) but I guess the spiel about the humans being soft and the wagons not handling un-smoothed rock floor is a thing of the past!

Draco, the wagons did come from the south, and I understand about where the nearby civilizations are, there the caravans come from, but I have two questions. One is why did the human trade liason come from the northwest corner instead of coming with the wagons? Two is how do I see my overland map again to see where they are coming from?
(Goblins are coming from multiple sides too....)

f only they knew, they''d either be laughing or groaning....