Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: how does adventure mode compare to other roguelikes?  (Read 7601 times)

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how does adventure mode compare to other roguelikes?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 07:41:10 am »

Plus throwing is insane. You get to tear dragons and demons apart with vomit and blood.

Or rabbits.
Everybody!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 07:51:54 am »

Or my human bowman on a horse. Cavalry archers!!!

Didn't we have those?
Not in adventure mode. Not yet, at least...

Blizzlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 08:17:18 am »

This is probably the best Rogue-like game I've ever played.

The best thing about Dwarf Fortress is the combat system, you have no HP, all damage is done via injuries, and you can become permanently injured. You are also no stronger then any other NPC in the world, well at least until you get your skills up a bit, but you never know with Dwarf Fortress, a NPC with no skills can kill a Legendary Swordsmen with a lucky shot.

Another thing I like is how open and non restrictive it is, you can go ANYWHERE on the map at any time, and kill whomever you want.

Also the History Generation is absolutely amazing, for instance, if you get a quest to kill a bandit who has killed 10 people, he really killed 10 people during the history generation, he could have even gotten permanently injured during the history generation.

Also people die of old age, which is awesome. I also believe races can go extinct during history generation, don't hold it against me if I'm wrong about that though.

I could go on forever about why I love Dwarf Fortress so much, but I won't torture you with a long read :P.
Note to all: Do not give alcoholic midgets swords that can cut the face of god and then make them march around in their undies.
They don't like that.

Flacracker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:11 am »

Whats a good tileset for adventure mode?

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 02:44:42 pm »

I just use the default cp437
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.

Blizzlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 04:55:53 pm »

I use LazyNewbPack, simply google LazyNewbPack.

It comes with many useful programs also, by far my favorite.
Note to all: Do not give alcoholic midgets swords that can cut the face of god and then make them march around in their undies.
They don't like that.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 08:55:57 am »

i personally like the game without a tile set or a tile set that changes almost nothing, i also like squares and symmetry.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 03:16:25 am »

I use LazyNewbPack, simply google LazyNewbPack.

It comes with many useful programs also, by far my favorite.
Lazy Newb Pack FTW!

Anyways, I don't really even think I've played a roguelike before and haven't ever really even been interested in one before but I still find DF Adventure mode engaging.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 03:30:46 pm »

The main difference is the lack of a actual goal in Dwarf Fortress adv mode, most roguelikes have some sort of goal, be that retrieving a specific item or killing a powerful boss, DF just gives you quests to kill things, also you can't actually beat the game.

The great majority of roguelikes consist of a single dungeon and all you do is go deeper in it, and even though this is far more restricting than being able to go anywhere in a huge world it gives you a better sense of advancement, in DF you end up getting to a point where you just can't go any further, all you do is kill the same creatures over and over.

That said the combat in DF is way better than your average roguelike, ridiculously more deep and tactical, though I'm obviously comparing the adv mode in it's current state, if toady ever adds everything he has planned for it it will definitely be the best roguelike ever, but god knows how long that'll take...... judging by the current progress flow I'd say 10 years or more...

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 11:59:05 pm »

onarum has it. lack of goal is the major downside to DF adventure mode. it does not have many goals in place to  apart from the existing quest system. so to get the most out of it, you need to be able to find your own fun. popular things people have done in the past -

climb every mountain in the world. toady added a legends note whenever you climb one.
commit genocide against a particular sentient race. elves are the favourite.
despoil any temple you come across by piling the bodies of the priests and townspeople in creative patterns. pick a god you do not like, and do it to them. or, pick a god to serve, and do it to all the other gods. or, do it to all the gods.
attempt to remove the eyes of everyone in the world.
kill every single megabeast. (this is currently really hard, perhaps omit bronze collosus)
find two nations that are at war. pick one to serve, then try and destroy the other nation in daring commando style raids into their towns and castles with a daring handpicked troup of followers. if nobody is at war, pick two nations and just do this anyway.

as you can see, establishing your own narrative as to why you are doing stuff in adventure mode is the way to go to keep yourself entertained, as the game does not really provide one. i have not been using adventure mode much in the latest versions, but i understand some of these goals are harder or different then previous. for instance, some or all castles spawn unlimited soldiers, making it impossible to completely clear them out. you can still kill off all the people of note, though.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 01:04:53 am »

I played the original rogue extensively, dungeon had 50 levels but near the bottom were demons that could gate in more demons who could themselves gate in more demons.  You had to kill them really fast or you got stuck one shotting an endless congo line of demons and have used up all your wands and staves, and every tile on the map had it's demon except for the tile you were in. once you were in that state the game was impossiable. in 2-3 years of playing I made it through perhaps twice.

Contrast with a simular situation in DF adventure mode... you NEED to have had a fortress make adamatine weapons and armour, the Rogue challenge would be to have no companions and decend to hell killing every creature on every Z level, not leaving any alive. I do not believe that is currently possiable in adventure mode due to more random creature spawns when you leave a 48x48 box. (Toady should offer a control that allows you to accept the rogue challenge, and turn off spawns in that box once the box is cleared of all animal/demon life.) There is a remote chance you could extinct the animals/demons in that area eventually, but that may be population of 200 or more of every creature that can spawn in that area.

Rogue once you win you're done, need to start over with a new game. Every rogue adventurer started with a new dungeon fully populated, there was no persistance from one rogue that failed to the next, structurally there was only one way to gain xp and that was to fight, so you needed the XP from every monster in each level above to be able to have a chance at the next level down. You could try going a level or two deeper make a couple of kills then come back up using the XP boost to make the current monsters easier, but in general it was a linear progression. DF Adventure mode allows you to bring in another adventurer and visit and kill the monster that did in your previous adventurer, that gives you the revenge and a satifaction of retaliation against a BS death. I find the persistance of your actions in the world to be of great satifaction

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 04:02:00 pm »

The biggest thing missing from DF compared to standard roguelikes is more and better loot. At the moment there's no improving your gear after you've got yourself armored, especially since only artirfacts are those made in your own fortresses.

While the next release will have slabs of secrets to hunt, I'd like to collect more powerful equipment as well.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 10:59:09 pm »

Adventure mode is certainly very advanced, but I wouldn't call it that fun. The combat system's accuracy is both its strength and its weakness. While the realism is extremely impressive, it also means that you can die no matter how well you prepare. An arrow or fist to the head can end you at any point, making it very easy to get frustrated.

When you take another popular rougelike (Nethack, in this case) the focus is much more around preparation rather than grinding. The hunger, rather than being an albatross around its neck, is in fact one of the driving aspects of the game, a constant impetus to move forward that keeps you from grinding in a fashion that is engaging, rather than frustrating. Yes, there is no thirst, but do we play games to deal with reality, or to escape from it? If you take the first objective, DF AM will do that for you, but if reality made a fun game there would be much less focus on interactive media in general. There is no situation you cannot escape in Nethack. Asmodeus has you cornered? You can engrave Elbereth, teleport, invoke the Orb of Fate or Eye of Aethiopica, or quaff a cursed potion of gain level. Conversely, if you get knocked down by something big in DF adventure mode you are pretty much dead. In addition,

AM's greatest strength, its detailed targeting and damage system, is greatly reduced by the fact that most hits are either 'probably' going to hit (ie. being oppurtunistic with legs, arms, & body) or 'not going to hit excluding high master or higher' (eyes, throat anyone? A blinding move would be nice)

I'm not saying adventure mode is horrible (it isn't) or that it is unenjoyable (it isn't) but rather that it creates an atmosphere of frustration by encouraging grinding and then killing you with events beyond your control. It has amazing potential, but to cultivate that potential it should probably take a  look at its design philosophy. (IMO it's a lot more fun to see a fort go up in flames than to die in AM, if only because the deaths often seem spontaneous in AM)

Iunno, a lot of what I don't like about the game other people probably do like though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:57:32 pm by JDF117 »

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 07:30:06 am »

Your only goal in Adventure mode is to die in the most hilarious way possible for the pages of your worlds history to keep.

drilltooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 01:32:43 pm »

acutally, my goal is to eventually avenge prior adventurers.. only have managed it once, one of those stupid get pushed off a cliff by an aligator less than a hundred steps from the first spawn
Pinkie pie cancels cook: taken by mood.
Pages: 1 [2]