Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BSOD in windowed mode on laptop  (Read 556 times)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
BSOD in windowed mode on laptop
« on: November 01, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

I don't expect this to be fixed, just giving you a heads up toady... 32a worked, 33a crashes in windowed mode on my laptop... toshiba TE2000, trident cyberblade XP video card.  Something you did between versions causes windows to BSoD on that system only when DF is in windowed mode... oh windows XP pro, newest drivers available, fullscreen works fine until I hit F11 and instant BSoD.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: BSOD in windowed mode on laptop
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

Odd.  I don't recall messing with any low-level enough for there to be an effect I have control over.  It even crashes on the title screen now?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:50:00 am »

Yes.

If it wasn't my best laptop I would send it to you, but I'm poor  :(

If there is anything you want me to run on it, I will be happy to give you results of any tests.  The trident cyberblade XP Ai1 is an ancient video card, the drivers are probably to blame, some sort of bug in them.  The drivers are what is blamed when it BSoDs, IIRC, but Ive run many things on it in the year and a half Ive had it and never got a BSoD until now.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 07:36:00 pm »

I wouldn't know where to begin, since 32a works, and I can't think of any meaningful difference between the two.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 06:20:00 am »

Two things:

1) Run 32 on it now and switch to windowed, see if it still BSODs.  If it does, the BSOD is not 33's fault.

2) Start any BSODing version in windowed mode by editing \data\init\init.txt. and see if it still BSODs.

Record & post the BSOD when it happens.  (manually if necessary)
The error message/loaded module/stop number etc. could provide a clue.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Redd:
1) Run 32 on it now and switch to windowed, see if it still BSODs.  If it does, the BSOD is not 33's fault.

I have. same result. I would not be posting a bug report without having retested it.
quote:
2) Start any BSODing version in windowed mode by editing \data\init\init.txt. and see if it still BSODs.

How do you think I was able to get it to work in the first place!?
quote:
The error message/loaded module/stop number etc. could provide a clue.

Are you blind? I said it is blaming the trident video card driver.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 09:37:00 pm »

That was really unnecessary. I don't think Redd said anything toward you that was in any way disrespectful, Jaqie.

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 07:06:00 am »

Jaqie:

quote:
I have. same result. I would not be posting a bug report without having retested it.

If 32 BSODs now when once it worked fine, how is that something that the version change is responsible for?  That doesn't make much sense.  Perhaps you changed something yourself between versions.

quote:
How do you think I was able to get it to work in the first place!?

That makes zero sense.  I asked you to edit it to run initially windowed (no F11 switching) to see if it'd crash without the switch, not edit in fullscreen so it would work.  The way you described it was that it crashed when you F11'd.  Sure, you said windowed mode BSODs you, but you weren't specific about starting in windowed mode, hence me trying to get confirmation and rule it out.

quote:
Are you blind? I said it is blaming the trident video card driver.

Sure, you said 'IIRC' that's what is being blamed, but that doesn't give a whole lot to go on.  Just because you don't understand the message when you read it, doesn't mean the specifics of what is on the BSOD is unimportant.  There's a often a lot more info in those error messages than you'd think.

Oh well, you said you'd be happy to run tests.  I guess frustration got the better of you.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 12:43:00 am »

No, it didn't. your trolling did.

You know *very* well exactly what I meant, twisting the meaning of my words wont change the fact I already did everything you said before I even posted the original post in this thread.

I'm done with all the trolling that's been going on here of late. have fun typing to the wall.