Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A new indie game references our dwarves. ...I smell elves..  (Read 3274 times)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: A new indie game references our dwarves. ...I smell elves..
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 06:05:28 am »

While the game's bugs might not be as 'insane' as DF has(not that I often hit 'em besides the DODGE UPWARDS A WALL AND STARVE one) this damn game has a problem. In the form of the only miner often stopping to do any work at all. Looks like job designations randomly get screwed up and the guy then is frozen still trying to complete a job that's supposed to be over already or whatever and god damn do they want to finish that work.

Didn't know about the music deal, sounds like what kids would do when making a game on RPG Maker based on FF and stealing all the SFX and music from it. Although this is a step higher considering how these guys want to make some money off the game.

Anyway. It's hard to even rate this game besides the graphics and momentary gameplays since I can't play anymore after a few minutes when the only miner/builder ends up bugged one way or another. It looks promising enough though. I just wish they'd work on the god damn game-ending bugs more than on new mobs. Right now the only way to interact with any of 'em is to tell your sword-dorf to kill something. That something, be it a pig, chicken or a zombie chicken, will not even try to attack back.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 06:12:32 am »

sounds like what kids would do when making a game on RPG Maker

Thread defining line.  (Ice cold, I know, but too good not to point out)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 07:00:51 am »

From what the review says, it looks like a 2D version of Minecraft.

Hmm, isn't there already something like that? Maybe. Probably not though, or they wouldn't be copying it.

It's based on Dwarves surviving...something? Maybe they need food? Apparently there are enemies.

Anyway, I love the line in the review 'still well and truly in Alpha'. I'm not entirely sure if the reviewer knows about Dwarf Fortress' position.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 12:15:19 pm »

What would worry me is that this honestly just seems like a watered down version of similar games meshed into one. Even if the game does get finished, and it's something enjoyable to play, less complexity means less possibilities.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 12:18:51 pm »

Well the creators have said that they'll make the game easily moddable.
Or at least I'm pretty sure they did.

I figure once the game will start to look like a finished product there'll be much more stuff to do.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 12:45:58 pm »

I sense that somebody will be making an ASCII graphics pack to turn it into DF; first thing. :P
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 12:47:53 pm by Itnetlolor »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 01:01:25 pm »

I sense that somebody will be making an ASCII graphics pack to turn it into DF; first thing. :P

I would, but I won't be buying the game :P
<3

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 05:47:32 pm »

It's really not anything to be angry at, it's just some guys trying to make their own game happen.   The only reason it's getting any attention is because it bites at the heels of a game people already enjoy quite a bit.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 06:01:50 pm »

I see nothing wrong with what they are doing. some of us are greatly enjoying terraria despite greatly enjoying minecraft.

Having said that, this specific game is updating so rarely and when it does they are just minor updates that i think it will not see the light of day, or if it will, it will just be a superficial game.
Pages: 1 [2]