Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does ranged work with z-levels?  (Read 986 times)

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does ranged work with z-levels?
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:13:31 pm »

I've been trying to find an answer to this on the wiki, no such luck so far. I know that a ranged unit can fire up/down one z-level but here's the part that I don't get. If you've got a dwarf on a higher z-level, would the upper z-level need to extend as far as the unit on the lower z-level? Or would you be able to get by with something like this

# being fortifications
. being the channeled square
_ being both the solid rock on the upper z-level and the lower z-level extending off into the distance

#._______________
   #._______________
   #._______________

Would the dwarf still be able to shoot at a range, or would it only work to the one channeled out area? Just trying to figure out how many squares I really have to channel out around my sniper perches, the fewer the better. >_>
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:15:18 pm by Hobbie »

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does ranged work with z-levels?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:36:05 pm »

If you have a shooter on level X, they have a range of 20 (for argument's sake, it might be more or less than this, call it 20 for our purposes).

Last I heard, it worked like this:
If the target is on level X, no more than 20 squares away, they fire.
If the target is on X+1 or X-1, but is no more than 19 squares away, they fire.
If the target is on X+2 or X-2, but is no more than 18 squares away, they fire.
If the target is on X+3 or X-3, but is no more than 17 squares away, they fire.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 03:38:32 pm »

Also, they can't shoot at extreme vertical angles. Anything below 45 degrees (from horizontal) should be fine though.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »

But  in a situation like mine where there will be an archer posted above a tunnel with only one tile channeled out, will they be able to shoot a target down the tunnel?

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 06:41:54 pm »

But  in a situation like mine where there will be an archer posted above a tunnel with only one tile channeled out, will they be able to shoot a target down the tunnel?

No, they won't be able to hit anything out past that first channeled tile. The sight mechanics are a little bit wonky, so they might *try* to shoot at stuff further away, but the bolts will hit the rock and fall unbroken on the ground of that first tile.