Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scaling Question/Suggestions  (Read 1981 times)

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
Re: Scaling Question/Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 06:46:26 am »

You are trying to say that making the scale 100% realistic would not make the game more fun. I agree. I am not suggesting that it be 100% realistic. I am suggesting that a scale is defined, and things are refactored in such a way that they make sense within the scale being used. Right now, we do not know a definite scale. We can only assume, based on associated information. Either way the assumptions are made, it doesn't make sense.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 07:55:01 pm »

I agree that the scales need adjusted...though technically they are defined...the scale is whatever the relationship happens to be.

I think what you are getting at is that you want some sort of uniform measurement system so that it TOADDY is more able to define how many seeds should fit in a bucket..or how far can a bolt travel, etc. With this I agree. It would also be easier for the player if the scale was something that could be conceptualized...the problem though is our brains will always try to compare it to real life where 9 million seeds fit in a tile.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 09:57:16 pm »

I don't think scale matters to Toady except for how it'll affect the combat system (if you're fighting a Dragon, for example, you shouldn't be able to attack its head so easily). In other words, he might only care about whether something is bigger than something or smaller than something.

Everything's abstract right now. It's really up to you if that's a bad thing.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 08:13:31 am »

Even if you only want to use it for combat, it matters, because everything else plays a supporting role to combat. The amount of food per square affects the number of dwarfs you can support, and the number you have available for combat. Distances affect lots of different things in combat. Time affects everything in the game. If he doesn't get it balanced now, he will have to come back and do it later, and the longer he waits, the harder it will be. As an added benefit, if he gets the balance right with what is already in the game, anything new he adds that is unbalanced will stand out like a sore thumb.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.
Pages: 1 [2]