Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: D.O.R.F: S.U.B.W.A.Y. Transportation System  (Read 3459 times)

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D.O.R.F: S.U.B.W.A.Y. Transportation System
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2011, 09:31:01 am »

I'm pretty sure I've seen dwarves fly more than 1 tile from cave-in dust.  AFAIK the dust comes from the ceiling as it falls, not when it lands:  if you put an empty space under that X and let the block fall past the dorf, you might get more dust out of it.  Also no chance of the dorf standing 2 inches too far north and getting killed prematurely.

VERY dorfy idea btw, you ought to be congratulated just for thinking of it.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 09:41:33 am »

Cave-in dust is also one of the most lethal forces in the game.  Any concentrated attempt to hurl dwarves via cave-in will result in armor-plated sludge hitting the ground, as their bones have been broken so much as to be liquid and several limbs have been removed.  Therefore, it's highly encouraged that all prototypes be elf-powered.

This. I use cave-in dust as a weapon. It will splat dwarves even if they only fly a tile or two. But they can fly considerable distance (I've had at least three tiles before).

I would recommend a series of bridges in an enclosed space. There is great risk of crushing, but it is still likely less lethal than cave-in dust.

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 10:31:59 am »

The answer is clearly a series of cave ins t that are triggered by pressure plates and propel a dwarf down a hallway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 04:08:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've seen dwarves fly more than 1 tile from cave-in dust.  AFAIK the dust comes from the ceiling as it falls, not when it lands:  if you put an empty space under that X and let the block fall past the dorf, you might get more dust out of it.  Also no chance of the dorf standing 2 inches too far north and getting killed prematurely.
Thanks! Trying it out in the arena, with one cavy, one dragon, and one dwarf sitting on a "pillar" with another rock chunk about to crash down on the east side, all of them landed on the same tile, south and a bit to the east. Some kind of passage for control would be ideal.

VERY dorfy idea btw, you ought to be congratulated just for thinking of it.
Why thank you! *looks for dorfiest smiley* *is unhappy that no smiley so much as sports a beard*
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 02:34:17 am »

this is probably a stupid question and may even be wiki'd....

But does magma fly every where off a magma-proof bridgeapult? A firey scatter cannon with possible wall funneling for aiming? It doesn't relate to a dorf subway I know, but a high speed, shotgun-like spread of flaming wardogs (or dwarves) being hurled at goblins along with incandescant magma globs surely has to be the end game for this sort of project. Doesn't it?

Even if the magma doesn't fly, the wardogs definately do. You just need to set them alight and aim them. Like you aim a sawn-off double barrel shotgun. Just sort of "in the general direction of".

The wardogs, if the make if over the moat, should home in on any enemies (assuming they don't burn to death first). Homing, firey shotgun shells, with possible magma backup anyone?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:53:47 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 07:57:44 am »

I'm fairly certain the magma won't be pulted. The dogs will be but burning dogs are not exactly an improvement. Rather like most other things that are on fire, the best they can hope for combat-wise is to set other people on fire before they die.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 08:05:16 am »

Bridges do not fling water or magma.  And you can't aim objects thrown by a bridge - the direction which an object or creature is thrown is random.  You can surround your flinging bridge with walls to prevent things from being thrown in certain directions, but those things won't then go in the direction you want them to.  They'll just stop when they hit a wall.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 08:31:49 am »

So, no magma (in the simplified, non-over-engineered version). But fairly easy to light dogs. That you can make sure can't go in any direction that you don't want them to go. That are being fired in a general direction from a lever. That can be set to be repeatedly pulled. To ensure that eventually the dogs WILL get over the moat, or die in the process. That after getting over the moat will always attack enemies.

Can't these same wardogs (or any pets that are under the bridgeapulting/atomsmashing limit) be pastured to an area? Or if you wish, make a one tile meeting area for them? And taking out 66-75% of available directions of their trajectory with walls, with them auto returning to the area to be 'pulted again, won't it be a little flaming-doggy-cannon? Crispy doggy death for a few of them on return journeys to the flinging area is definate, but the few that make it may do wonders. Bigger war animals may even take a little longer to go crispy, therefore allowing more chances of on-target bridgepulting. Perhaps it is the whole trainable egg-layer geometric scaling issue finally weaponised fully? Flaming-cave-crocodiles or merely a friendly pink-poodle-of-doom?

It's way off on a tangent from the OP, but making dwarves fly over a ditch and into battle is only one step from setting up a repeatable system in which you light your live-stock with lava and fire them at the enemy, knowing that not only will they attack the enemies, the whole system probably will burn your whole damn fortress down. And it will still be your most reliable weapon.

"The !wardog! has latched onto the goblin lasher's upper right leg."
"The !wardog! shakes the goblin lasher furiously by the upper right leg."
"The goblin lasher's nether regions disappear in a puff of smoke."
"The goblin lasher gives into the pain."
"The goblin lasher has been struck down."
It's a game. Have fun.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 03:41:13 pm »

thats what I was thinking.  I always hear that a raising drawrbride throws things, Not sure how far or anything, but if you could get timings right, I would assume you could use drawbridges to toss dwarfs into battle. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 03:52:51 pm »

Dwarbridges cannot be aimed, at all.  They fling in a random direction across the same Z level.

And you can test this on your own.  Go build a bridge!  Stop spewing bad information and get your engineering hat on!  What are you, pansy talking elves are constructing Dwarves?!  Build that damn bridge, and fling those damn ‼Wardog‼s off it!  FOR SCIENCE!

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 03:46:04 pm »

Build that damn bridge, and fling those damn ‼Wardog‼s off it!  FOR SCIENCE!
/GLADOS
...you monster.
/GLADOS
Pages: 1 [2]