Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Value, preferences, and happy thoughts  (Read 738 times)

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Value, preferences, and happy thoughts
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:39:15 pm »

I've been inspired by girlinhat to experiment with her Dwarven childcare idea.  I want to keep the kids from going crazy, but I want to do it as cheaply as possible.  A child finally arrived with the fourth immigrant wave; he likes nickel silver and pigs (among other things).  My question is what would make the little guy happier, a masterwork gold statue of randomness, or a masterwork nickel silver statue of a pig?
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Value, preferences, and happy thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 02:40:36 pm »

I've been inspired by girlinhat to experiment with her Dwarven childcare idea.  I want to keep the kids from going crazy, but I want to do it as cheaply as possible.  A child finally arrived with the fourth immigrant wave; he likes nickel silver and pigs (among other things).  My question is what would make the little guy happier, a masterwork gold statue of randomness, or a masterwork nickel silver statue of a pig?
Obviously pig statue. Also being trapped in Dwarven Childcare with pigs biting him.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 02:58:58 pm »

Obviously? I'm not sure it's so obvious. Gold is worth 10 times as much as nickel silver. Is it obvious that preferences have that much weight?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »

I don't think it's anywhere near x10 just because it's a preferred material. I never did find out the exact multiplier though.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.