Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves won't use coffers - NVM  (Read 763 times)

rawr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves won't use coffers - NVM
« on: January 27, 2007, 02:48:00 am »

I've put coffer + cabinet + bed in all my standard rooms, but my dwarves won't use the coffers for some reason. Cabinets work fine. As can be seen;

even my nobles would rather use the floor even though they all have coffers.

[ January 27, 2007: Message edited by: rawr ]

[ January 27, 2007: Message edited by: rawr ]

OldMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves won't use coffers - NVM
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 07:38:00 am »

They will use the coffers and bags once their entire floor space is covered.  They will only put one item per space of floor, so it doesn't take long for nobles to start to use their containers.  And, yes, clothing seems to always go straight to the cabinet, even worn clothing they'll never wear again.

But, yes, the current behavior is tacky.  I suppose this is why some people opt for the efficient, but extremely ugly, 4x1 peastant's quarters - door, coffer, cabinet, bed - wall - bed, cabinet, coffer, door, repeat ad naseum.  And nausea is indeed my feeling upon viewing such arrangements.  But it does mean they have no room to place anything on the floor.

Getting a noble to accept such quarters pretty much requires replacing all of the walls with superior statues on top of superior engravings.  Also, would have to extend the room to 6x1 to hold the armor and weapon rack, unless you threw that in their dining room, making it 5x1.  What with furniture haulers getting endlessly stuck on top of statues in the last two major versions, that's one severe hassle to just keep the floors clean, though...  But I do ramble at this early hour.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 07:38:00 pm »

I go with a combination of that design when I had tried a method of fortress defence that I've long ago abandonded tyring to do (being able to steam discrete sections of the ENTIRE main hallway).
So, in a 13x13 space of rock I could fit 4 6x6 rooms for workshops (then a wall, the channel I've removed and the other wall, then 13 more spaces).  So I worked out the best way to fit bedrooms.  Ended up with a row of 7 peasants quaters (4x1), then 2 6x1 nobles quaters (placed at a 90 degree rotation) and then another row of 7 4x1s.  I now have corridors 1 tile wide between these, but in the first incarnation the walls between the 13x13 sections where mined out.

rawr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OldMiner:
<STRONG>They will use the coffers and bags once their entire floor space is covered.  They will only put one item per space of floor, so it doesn't take long for nobles to start to use their containers.</STRONG>
Aha. Thanks for the answer.