Yes, as both
- 3 (21.4%)
Yes, as a follower
- 6 (42.9%)
this is stupid/needs improvement, and I will include a post why
- 1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Map project: Working on rules, open signups for both writers and artists.  (Read 5580 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Map project: Working on rules, open signups for both writers and artists.
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2011, 09:39:33 am »

The kinds of islands being described are more akin to those formed by a hot spot than what you'd find on a fault-line (see Hawaii vs. Japan), though I guess that if you want a faultline you could still get this effect.
I did wonder actually whether I had got that right! (I just ran with it anyway ... )

It is, of course, subject to correction by those more geologically knowledgable than me ...

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2011, 09:13:16 pm »

Personally, I like the subplot of the mysterious, ancient artifacts everyone seems to find. ;)
http://immacunesiib.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Listing
Some of my older pieces done this year. I'm Terrance 888.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=440923
Some more Historical style writing here.

The Maps of Arid Atoll

Arid Atoll is on the border between something people should know, and something people don't care about.
On one hand, having an knowledge, even one based on "legends", of the strange, safe lagoon on this South Seas trade route saved more than one ship.
On the other hand, more than a dozen other ships don't really care.

This island appears, and disappears throughout the maps. However, it is always portayed as four islands with a flying bird/man above it. Generally, times of expansion and of storms show a greater occurrence of this atoll on the maps, but as of yet, few know it's location.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2011, 09:39:37 pm »

I think a hot spot can account for most of the volcanic islands. A fast moving hot spot like Hawaii will create neighborly island chains, while slow moving hot spots, I would think, would create more isolated islands in a belt.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 02:26:34 pm »

Well, whatever formed Arid Atoll, it would be older than other volcanic islands. Atolls is one of the last stage of a Volcanic Island, with the obsidian/igneous rocks only reaching high enough for coral to form the island.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 02:33:41 pm »

It could be on the far end of a volcanic island chain formed by a hotspot. That would make it the oldest island still above sea level.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2011, 05:26:58 pm »

We should also all bear in mind that everyone wants the coveted title of "oldest island", so I would not get too attached to the idea in writing or design.

As the logical result of geology and plate tectonics its one thing. When it cuts to the cool factor of your island, it's another.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2011, 05:28:35 pm »

One of the oldest islands then, it doesn't have to be the very oldest ever for it to be eroded significantly.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2011, 07:49:25 pm »

Updating the front page with your guys works. As for the whole fault line versus hotspot argument, I'm thinking a fairly small plate breaking away from the main land mass and moving southward, causing some nice size islands on the plate and some bubbling up from the hot spots created by the movement.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2011, 08:08:34 pm »

An update on this whole thing, basically, If you have a writing piece without art, I'll submit it to the artists pool, and let someone pick from it. I'm writing up a google docs for this thing, on the table of contents, islands without artwork will be written in red.

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2011, 08:44:39 pm »

I don't really care about the "oldest island" or whether Arid Atoll is or isn't it. It is just a hunk of land, battered and broken by eons of storms, sheltering uncountable amounts of ships who bless its name while dooming those who ram into its merciless reefs. For every surviver there is a sunken wreak outside, doomed upon the sharp coral reefs. Walking among the Birdmen can give one a sense of its history.

For a picture, I would like it either placed around a storm and the shelter it provides, or the large amounts of birds/birdmen who inhabit the island.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2011, 09:35:29 pm »

Isa De Jolla

The island of Jonna, or as the locals call it, Isa De Jolla, is the southern-most piece of land in the region. It's a land of hills and jungle, with little else but the occasional ravine. While in all known writings Jolla is one island, in truth it is made up of three islands: Jolla, Barri, and Settab. Settab and Barri are a few kilometres north-west of the island of Jolla and show the same features as Jolla.

To the west of Jolla is what the locals call "Mahabiun" which roughly translates to "fire rock-mother". What this thing is in reality is a volcano, underwater for the most part. The locals believe that it is the orfice of some great spirit.

People of Jolla

The people have an interesting society; each tribe is made up of several different races. No racial nor species tensions exist! One can find humans along with strange bird-men in simple existence. Of course, most do not mate outside of the species, but friendships are common.

Each tribe varies in size. Some have as many as 1000 individuals, others as few as 10. None of the tribes have any recorders or even shamans of any sort. This would seem to imply that the tribes are young things with little history, but in fact many of the tribes have existed for centuries. Why so little respect for their history then? This is actually due to the existence of a centralized power on the island that records the goings of the tribes for them. More about them later.

Warring and raiding is extremely common among the tribes; it is accepted that all members of a tribe helps in raiding or protecting against raids. There is little loss of love between raiding tribes, it's just something that has to happen. This need for raiding can be attributed to the poor farmland and the dangers of the jungles. Raiding among fish-based tribes are far less common unless in dire straits.

Tribes don't often form alliances or cooperate to a great extant; there is little need to.

While most of the inhabitants of the island are uncivilized, there is one particular group that could be said to be as civilized as any other modern man, just in different ways. These are the Variuu. They resemble humans...but are thinner, but somehow more rigid. Their skin is a light tone of purple. These people are the real rulers of the island. They record, advise, and watch the people of the tribes, making sure that no particular group grows too strong nor too weak. And for the most part, the islanders seem aware of this and accepting of it. The Variuu posses strange magicks; not like any magic currently used. No source, no pain, no deals with demons nor even any visible effects. Strange beings all things considered.

Climate

The island is hot and tropical, always making one sweat. Typhoons from the south are common enough that the Variuu and the rest of the population seem not to care.

History

Every tribe has a dedicated group of warriors, although every member is trained in the use of some kind of weapon. More research is needed as the tribes my expedition visited were not keen to share their tactics and strategy.

Trade

Several possible trade goods have been identified, but most of these can be found in neighbouring islands. Tropical fruits and fish can be found here in abundance. The Variuu will trade some of their inventions and discoveries, if one can find something they want. Which is rare. More research is needed.

The Wilds

More research is needed.

((Still very lacking. Will improve later.))

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]