Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enhancements to Stocks -> Animals  (Read 968 times)

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
Enhancements to Stocks -> Animals
« on: September 09, 2011, 03:45:43 am »

I have two suggestions to make animal husbandry easier:

1)  Allow the player to view an animal's description from the list (and easily transition back).  This would make it easier to cull herds for genetic selection without having to painstakingly search the entire pasture for the animals you want.  (e.g. To offer up the skinny, weak animals to the shop and leave the fat, muscular ones to breed.)

2)  Sorting.  Rather than order-of-birth/migration only, it would be nice to be able to be able to group by species, species & gender, pet status, etc.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Enhancements to Stocks -> Animals
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 12:13:42 pm »

Do like. Also: A way to see which animals are caged would be nice.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 01:04:38 pm »

This is a good idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

CapnStabbin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 03:35:59 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly.

I feel that the Animals menu could use an overhaul.  Sorting capabilities are a must.  It would also be useful to know at a glance how many of each animal you have.  I recently had a successful herd of yak, as well as horses, llamas, alpacas, pigs... suffice it to say that I had a lot of animals to take care of.  Careful micromanagement was required due to their grazing needs (much rotation between pastures).  While doable, I found that much of my time was spent counting and recounting how many of which creature I had so I knew when to send a few more to the slaughter.

Also: do animals actually pass their physical traits along to their offspring, or is it random?