Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: How to Make a Bad Video Game  (Read 7318 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Make a Bad Video Game
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2011, 05:31:45 am »

Another example of games that were good in spite of, or maybe even because of these points would be Devil may cry 1 and 3. They wouldn't be the same without the cliché characters

Actually I sort of really liked the character of Dante in Devil May Cry and for the time he was FAR from Cliche.

He really was the calm before the storm and where other characters would be crying or going mad with anger, he was calmly and stylishly fighting through everyone.

The first game in the series REALLY sticks out as much different then all the other games.
I dunno about the first game, but in the third one he sounded like a cross between the animated series Spiderman and a whiny punk rock band singer. Made me want to stab my ear drums. Instead I just uninstalled the game.

And having a character act "cool" in the face of danger is hardly a unique trait.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2011, 10:28:31 am »

I am only dealing with the first game though and Dante does have a significant difference between him in the first, third, and fourth.

Dante's character was mass produced after the first game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2011, 11:58:15 am »

I have to agree on Dante. By DMC4 he is a cliche of himself. That doesn't mean I'm happy about the re-envisioning of him, at all....but you could predict half the cheesy one liners he spouted when you finally got to play him, because he's had the same schtick more or less for 4 games.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]