Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves from failed forts need to die or recover  (Read 874 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves from failed forts need to die or recover
« on: December 04, 2012, 02:28:22 am »

OK, I just tried for 6 hours and 5 attempts to recover a 200 dwarf fort that I abandoned when it went into a tantrum spiral.

What I didn't count on is that all the most horribly broken, 0 morale rejects from the prior fort were going to somehow survive, then return to the fort months later and destroy it with tantrum spirals, EVERY time I tried to recover.

I know that fortress persistence is in the plans.  I really hope that this also includes better AI about what happens to 0 morale / insane dwarves after a fortress abandonment.

Insane dwarves should die. Zero morale dwarves should either go insane and die, or recover to some stable morale point so that if they do return, they do not return already insane.  Literally half of all my returning dwarves were insane when they arrived back at the fort, or at 0 morale.  As soon as the returning insane dwarves died, the 0 morale dwarves went insane themselves, and the others went to 0 morale, then insane.  Tantrum spiral.  Repeatedly.

I now know that what one must do for a large population fort to allow it to be recoverable is to make absolutely certain that every single dwarf in the place is dead before you abandon it.  Preferrably also create a ton of slabs and have them ready for the returning dwarves to work with.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves from failed forts need to die or recover
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:54:18 am »

Is this a thinly veiled "It's too hard  :'(" thread?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:07:38 am »

So your former dwarves from when you abandoned are coming back in migrant waves and destabilizing your reclaim?  Just put a system in place to kill off unstable dwarves before they go crazy or make friends. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:10:16 am »

So your former dwarves from when you abandoned are coming back in migrant waves and destabilizing your reclaim?  Just put a system in place to kill off unstable dwarves before they go crazy or make friends.

Aye.  Toady is trying to put persistence into the game.  I'd hope that he considers that basket case dwarves should either recover or die between a fort being abandoned and reclaimed.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 04:18:14 am »

Is this a thinly veiled "It's too hard  :'(" thread?

Nah it's a WTF thread, never tried to recover a large population tantrum spiral fort before.  In fact in several years playing off and on, I've never actually had a tantrum death fort.  The vampire helped there :P

It would just be a lot less annoying if dwarves that were basket cases either died, or returned to some semblance of mental health before they returned as immigrants.  Half of my incoming immigrants were insane when they arrived or at 0 morale, and almost all of them were strongly tied to one another.

We shouldn't have to commit genocide on a tantrum fort to make it reclaimable.  Sorry, I don't like killing my own dwarves :P

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:28:38 am »

Still sounds like a mismanagement problem to me.  You can't have a tantrum spiral if you don't have connections between dwarves.  Next time you make or reclaim a fortress where there is a significant probability of broken dwarves migrating in, maybe you should try creating a secure and isolated facility to keep them away from your useful workers until they recover or die.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:03:54 pm »

The problem isn't the tantrum spiral, it's that the tantrum spiral inevitably returns when still-miserable migrants arrive. They should have calmed down or gone insane by then.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 04:13:33 pm »

The problem isn't the tantrum spiral, it's that the tantrum spiral inevitably returns when still-miserable migrants arrive. They should have calmed down or gone insane by then.

Aye, this is what I was saying, but said better.

I know how to prevent it in future forts.  Just let them all die.  Scorched earth won't allow for any broken dwarves to return.