Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander - FTL meets strategy!  (Read 4508 times)

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander - FTL meets strategy!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 04:49:00 am »

So, more Steam reviews are in. 91% positive! RPS wrote an article about it too, with a lot of positive impressions in the comments.

It seems like people are really enjoying it. So I'm back to wondering if I'm just missing some huge part of the game, or if this is what people expect out of a $20 product now.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 04:54:57 am »

So, more Steam reviews are in. 91% positive! RPS wrote an article about it too, with a lot of positive impressions in the comments.

It seems like people are really enjoying it. So I'm back to wondering if I'm just missing some huge part of the game, or if this is what people expect out of a $20 product now.

A couple of comments on the RPS article are now making mention of the shallow/semi-mobile feel of the game, so you might want to hold off a little while longer.  Game depth isn't one of those things that's easy to judge in the first few hours of playtime, so you may wish to see whether the reviews are still as positive once people have had a better chance to dig into it.

If you care about that, that is - if you're happy with it being a relatively shallow but apparently quite well done game then you might be happy to jump in now! :)

I still stick with my bleak original post on page one, though.  :P
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 07:20:08 am »

I tried it, and I'm with you. It felt like a shallow mobile game. The gameplay largely consists of 'JRPG Battles In Spaaace" which is alright but I expected a bit more. Maybe it gets better later on but I really didn't feel like exploring further.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 11:25:23 am »

Something strange about this game. Very meh overall but getting widely positive reviews.

Dug deeper, the devs are funded by one of those "independent review" companies that basically put out paid reviews of products.

No damning evidence but certainly suspicious.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 12:43:19 pm »

I decided to check some of the reviews on Steam and the top negative review's comments section has the developers saying that on Act 2 resource gathering gets some automation and some new weapons and stuff gets unlocked which makes strategy blossom like a fragrant flower on the field of combat, has anybody got this far to know if it checks out?
I'm sitting on the fence with this one, the description sounds amazing, but also too amazing to be true.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 12:51:04 pm »

I dunno, it kinda sucked me in, personally. I needed a relatively brainless game that still allowed me to min-max a bit, and I got just that. Not sure whether I'm in the second part of the game, but having an officer which a shuttle just goin' round picking things up is relatively painless. Relatively.

Not as much crew improvement as I'd have liked, and I do wish combat animations and UI were better, but it's nice for what it is.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 01:34:53 pm »

Sorta', but what it is also isn't something I'd splash twenty bucks on. Or ten. It's certainly something you can basically play on idle but that doesn't mean it's particularly good, ha, or worth much of an investment. It's something that's also true of several dozen flash games that cost you nothing but the bandwidth and time.

As for the blossoming, I haven't seen any gameplay of that far in, yet, so I couldn't say. Act 2 does seem like a good chunk of playtime away from starting from what I have seen, though. If they're holding out introducing things that take the game from barely mediocre to somewhat passing until several hours into the game they might want to re-think their design decisions. Just a bit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 02:54:05 pm »

Something strange about this game. Very meh overall but getting widely positive reviews.

Dug deeper, the devs are funded by one of those "independent review" companies that basically put out paid reviews of products.

No damning evidence but certainly suspicious.

You'd have to own the game and play it to review it, but of course if someone wanted to, they could provide a company with free keys in exchange for positive reviews... That'd be unethical as fuck and probably against the terms they agreed to with Steam, but I'm speculating on that point.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2016, 03:01:38 pm »

Its worth pointing out that if you frequent a DF forum, you'll likely have higher expectations for complexity in games than the average Steam reviewer.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2016, 08:10:25 am »

After reading carefully...

In spite being out of Early Access >_< the game isn't done yet... by quite the margin.

So I guess it is as good a time for me not to bother buying it until it gets an amazing sale sometime around when they actually will put in the missing features... I actually assumed they were already in the game, but I was wrong.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2016, 09:22:51 am »

Despite attempts to really hype up this game saying it's "a mixture of Star Control 2, Master of Orion, XCOM" (and FTL), there's precious little about any of those in it.

It appears to be mostly simplistic JRPG battles in space with some very light base-building and research mechanics.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2016, 09:39:01 am »

Despite attempts to really hype up this game saying it's "a mixture of Star Control 2, Master of Orion, XCOM" (and FTL), there's precious little about any of those in it.

It appears to be mostly simplistic JRPG battles in space with some very light base-building and research mechanics.

Which is kind of fine on its own. It is a neat little distraction. No where near the caliber of FTL but what is?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2016, 10:36:01 am »

Which is kind of fine on its own. It is a neat little distraction. No where near the caliber of FTL but what is?

For 15-20 dollars, one would expect something more robust.
Pages: 1 [2]