Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mines, Logging Villages/Camps, etc.  (Read 3606 times)

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Mines, Logging Villages/Camps, etc.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 06:11:15 pm »

what if he's in a fell mood guys?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 11:35:14 pm »

What happens when they run out?

What happens when an RL Civ runs out of/doesn't have access to a certain recourse?
War happens, is what. It could actually give some motive to wars other than "We're goblins, it's in our nature" and "We just plain don't like your face. As a result, we're wiping out your civilization."
It could give rise to mechanics like conquering territories, redrawing/fighting over defined borders, occupation, tribute, and ol' fashioned sacking, instead of just wreaking havock (though it's not impossible).
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 11:40:07 am »

I almost posted this in its own thread, but figured it would do as well here. If you move on with the idea of logging camps, it would be cool if wood logs floated. Then you could create a dump point up river and have the logs float downstream for retrieval. Stopping them could be a matter of building vertical bars so that the water could flow but not large objects. 
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 11:57:05 am »

New job title: LumberDorf
Recaptcha Pictionary!

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 12:00:14 pm »

I almost posted this in its own thread, but figured it would do as well here. If you move on with the idea of logging camps, it would be cool if wood logs floated. Then you could create a dump point up river and have the logs float downstream for retrieval. Stopping them could be a matter of building vertical bars so that the water could flow but not large objects.
Oh god yes! this is great!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 12:08:11 pm »

Slightly out of period, albeit with a certain amount of precedent in fiction. Remember Bilbo, Thorin's Thirteen and the wine barrels?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 12:14:56 pm »

Slightly out of period, albeit with a certain amount of precedent in fiction. Remember Bilbo, Thorin's Thirteen and the wine barrels?
Another reason why I want it.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 02:58:46 pm »

Oh god yes! this is great!
I would live upstream of a goblin civilization and throw war dogs in the river.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 02:59:58 pm »

We've known that wood floats for a looooooooong time. It's not much of a stretch to think that some enterprising dwarf watched his freshly chopped logs get washed away when Urist flooded the valley on accident.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 04:09:58 pm »

We've known that wood floats for a looooooooong time. It's not much of a stretch to think that some enterprising dwarf watched his freshly chopped logs get washed away when Urist flooded the valley on accident.

I was referring more to the fact that it's only in the last couple of hundred years that most cities have been more than a day's wagon ride from a decent-sized forest, and even then it wouldn't really work for long distances unless you were way out in the boonies with nobody who might fancy helping themselves to some free firewood along the way. Roping several logs together behind a boat might work though.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 04:56:26 pm »

Was trying to keep away from boating for the moment, as that opens up a whole other can of worms. Since you brought it up though, boats would be awesome.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 07:41:57 pm »

One thing about the "time period" argument. This isn't earth we're talking about. Different development, different tech, magic, monsters, different meta-races (which means more warring partners), and so on. Plus, there ARE major centers, which don't have an abundance  of wood at their fingertips, and kingdoms would want to have dedicated ore mining for weapons, trade, and flashy ornaments.
Recaptcha Pictionary!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 09:29:04 pm »

I was referring more to the fact that it's only in the last couple of hundred years that most cities have been more than a day's wagon ride from a decent-sized forest, and even then it wouldn't really work for long distances unless you were way out in the boonies with nobody who might fancy helping themselves to some free firewood along the way. Roping several logs together behind a boat might work though.

I'm pretty sure that forests are actually getting further away from cities. Most of Europe used to be woodland, but now it's all grassland and farms.

Also, floating logs has been round for a very long time, it's not very efficient though, with up to 75% losses I believe. It used to be very common in New Zealand, where the Kauri loggers would chop down tens to hundreds of trees, stack them behind a form of dam, and then release the dam, which would release all the logs to rush downstream, following a large surge of water. Many logs would wash up or get shattered, but even then, it was profitable.

The logs and water pile up behind the dam, which is then opened.

Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?
Pages: 1 [2]