Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leather and nobles  (Read 700 times)

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Leather and nobles
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:08:44 pm »

So I have a few suggestions to make.

Leather should be worth more then it is now, as it stands its basically a worthless thing to have unless you need it for a mood. I think quadrupling the price of it should be a good start. Also different sized animals should produce different amounts of leather. Thirdly leather armor should be given better stats as this would give an incentive to actually use it instead of just as a secondary need for bags.

I think many professions should have a chief noble, such a chief miner. A chief miners job could label which sort of veins are worth mining. Such as all gold veins which have been designated for mining could only be mined by an Expert or higher. A chief miller would be able to designate that only cave wheat be milled. While this may overlap the manager in some spots I think it would be good and give more flexibility. Also I think it would be cool to have more then 1 baron and nobles at a time.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
Re: Leather and nobles
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:46:11 pm »

Leather should be worth more then it is now, as it stands its basically a worthless thing to have unless you need it for a mood.

Leather is not useless. It allows you to create cheap, light armor for dwarfs that are not active combatants. If you read the wiki section on speed, you would realize that there is a penalty for encumbrance effecting the agility of a dwarf. If you have enough dwarfs to have a separate military, then it is more beneficial to dress your non-combatants in leather.

I think quadrupling the price of it should be a good start.

Quadrupling the base price, or that of tanned hides, or that of goods made from leather? I do think that there should be a price refactoring between leather, yarn, plant cloth, and silk, but I think quadrupling the price is a bit over kill and would not lead to any sort of balance. Ideally, plant cloth would be cheapest as it is easiest to produce in large quantities and comes from a renewable resource, followed by yarn, then leather, then silk.

Thirdly leather armor should be given better stats as this would give an incentive to actually use it instead of just as a secondary need for bags.

As I mentioned, the benefit is in the lack of encumbrance. There could be other uses for it that would make it more beneficial though. Smithies and furnace operators could wear it to avoid catching on fire for instance.

I think many professions should have a chief noble, such a chief miner. A chief miners job could label which sort of veins are worth mining. Such as all gold veins which have been designated for mining could only be mined by an Expert or higher. A chief miller would be able to designate that only cave wheat be milled. While this may overlap the manager in some spots I think it would be good and give more flexibility. Also I think it would be cool to have more then 1 baron and nobles at a time.

What you are talking about should be wrapped up under guilds due to be released in the caravan arc, though the extent that it will be implemented is unclear at the moment.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:01:40 pm »

Prices are pretty meaningless now because the economy makes no sense and doesn't really try to, at this stage of development.

As for tradesmen nobles, that falls under guilds which will return eventually, as mentioned above.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 04:03:31 pm »

Okay I see the points that you are making.

Maybe have a light leather armor and a heavy leather armor. That way you can protect your civies and your militia until you have the money to build full metal armor.

I just find it annoying that an entire cow produces 1 piece of leather worth 10, while a 1x1 farm plot can make a pig tail into a rope worth 12. Maybe if the cow made 10 pieces of leather or even 5 but it takes way to much effort to set up a leather industry when you can easily buy it from the caravans when I think it should be the other way around.

As for the guilds thing, I just really like nobles and I think it would be cool if we had another 5 or so of them that do nothing but sit around and demand stuff.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:23:17 pm »

light and heavy armors are too generic for dawrf fortress,this is not a MMORPG.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 05:29:48 pm »

But it would be leather though, the thickness would actually matter.

Light leather armor would basically be a coat and leather pants like you would find on a guy wearing a motorcycle. Heavy leather armor would be strong enough to deflect weapons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:10:58 pm »

can make a pig tail into a rope

Thats rope... and it is worth 20

However to be fair lets look at the prices

2 credits per ropereed, a rope (10) of ropereed = 20
5 credits per leather, a tunic (16) of leather would thus cost = 80 peices
10 credits per iron, a breastplate (15) made of iron would thus cost = 150 peices

Leather's price is rather fair and Dwarf Fortresses are basically mines with exclusive rights to their goods rather then spreading it throughout towns and are not animal farms.

Also making Leather worth 4 times more would give it the same price as Electrum... an alloy of Gold and Silver (you made leather worth more then silver)

Though my calculations are probably off a bit.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:17:17 pm by Neonivek »

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:24 pm »

Then I guess having one animal produce more then 1 piece of leather is the way to go.

Because an elephant and a puppy shouldn't produce the same.

I was thinking of a pig tail thread, which is the base product of pig tails, which one non touched up piece of pig tail is now worth more then the skin of an entire cow.

ravaught

• Bay Watcher
  • Anybody seen mah beer?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 09:39:12 pm »

You are talking about trying to balance the economy, which is far more complicated then what you are getting into here. Yes, a cow should produce more leather, and of a superior quality, than a puppy.

As for whether the price should be adjusted, that is a long loooooooong discussion that would involve getting lots and lots of numbers together. Balancing the economy would be a full game update in and of itself.
..because making sense and having FUN are not mutually exclusive.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 09:39:53 pm »

and of a superior quality, than a puppy.

Depends what you want out of it.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:24:44 pm »

puppies make exelent socks!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.