Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prison Complex?  (Read 1137 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Prison Complex?
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:59:55 pm »

So I'm racking up a number of criminals due to mandates.  I know the usual prisoner setup, food and booze stockpiles and nice statues and whatnot.  But what about a REAL prison system?  Cells and locked doors and guards and whatnot?  Has anyone built a control tower with prison blocks branching away, or cell rows lined with cages?  Or even a dank, decrepit dungeon to rot in?  No one made slade earrings.  This cannot go unpunished!  There must be incarceration!  Show me your handiwork, you devils of the mountains!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Prison Complex?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »

Usually I dig out a room, right, then I fill it with cages. No food, no floor/wall smoothing, just a room full of metal cages.

Usually looks like this:

Code: [Select]
[W][W][W][W][W][W][W][W][W][W][W]
[W][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][W]
[W][|][ ][|][|][ ][|][|][ ][|][W]
[W][|][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][|][W]
[W][W][W][W][W][=][W][W][W][W][W]
[W]=wall; [|]=cage; [ ]=floor [=]=door
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 09:22:15 pm »

I'm wondering something.
Is it possible to deconstruct a Cage with a Dwarf in it?
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »

Pretty tame so far, Just a room full of metal cages like elf-fondling human.  Which, just now, gave me a thought: a dark, dingy dungeon is right at home for a dwarf.  After all, its hard to get darker or dingier than the miasma-filled hallways echoing with the screams and laughter of moodies and madmen and the howls of the damned abominations being kept at bay with a single locked slate hatch cover in the deeps.  As such, the most cruel punishment for a dwarf would be a crow's cage: outside, exposed to the elements and the terrifying expanse of the sky and the world around them.  In the overworld, build a field of pillars (constructed walls) with access ramps next to them

Z0
=========
=O=O=O=O=
=▲=▲=▲=▲=
=========
=O=O=O=O=
=▲=▲=▲=▲=

Z+1
.‼.‼.‼.‼.
.▼.▼.▼.▼.
.‼.‼.‼.‼.
.▼.▼.▼.▼.
Designate the open on the surface as a refuse pile... or a farm plot for above-ground crops: either one would be horrific.  Place cages atop the walls and designate them for justice.  It may not be flashy, but it's mean

To build an expansive, underground prison, I might recommend a Panopticon, using vertical bars attached to levers in a central lever bank to control access to the cells
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:09:44 pm »

I've always wanted to do something like this, but never got around to it.

I've always always ALWAYS wanted to do the Dwarkuta megaproject, but the fort always ends up getting sieged or some such. Unfortunately, Vorkuta doesn't allow magma  :'(

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:59:16 pm »

I like to suspend my criminals (and prisoners!) over magma, so they can roast in guilt. Unfortunately it's currently unfeasible to simply combine a chain and a cage to make a proper hanging cage, so instead I construct small 1-tile rooms with bars for 3 walls and ceiling, and place a chain inside to hold the dwarf down.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 11:16:13 pm »

Building dungeons is my favourite part of Fortress Mode. Mind you, I play on a fairly shitty computer, so my fortresses are usually < 100 Dwarves, so nothing extreme.

I don't like danger rooms, so torturing captured invaders is my main way of training my military. The centrepiece of a dungeon is usually the training pit, which is a lowered pit with about a dozen small cells attached. Prisoners and captured berserk dwarves are kept there in cages hooked up to levers, which can be released from my Chief Torturers office, which overlooks the thing.

There's all sorts of stuff that goes into it, there's a justice area that's segregated from the rest of the dungeon, the thing is usually isolated with a bridge over a magma pool. I also like to make an area where I can flood particularly deserving prisoners with 1-2 magma and watch their feet melt away.

Then there's lots of cosmetic stuff, such as a room full of mechanisms with a traction bench in the centre.

Oh and then of course there's the Kitten Room. Every dungeon needs to have a Kitten Room.

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 11:34:47 pm »

Generally, I end up getting so bored that I make every Z-level of my fortress into its own stockpile and room type.  Just one giant, map-spanning room as far as it will stretch underground.
1Z -  meeting hall/depot
2Z -  food pantry
3Z- finished goods
4Z- leather
etc.. etc..

25, 26, and 27Z-  Cages and cages and cages,  stretching up and down along a corridor 3Z levels high.  Each one seperated into dorms and blocks.
Each dorm has 6 blocks.  Each block has a number of cells.
I try to set it up like a real prison (of sorts)  based on a rough description of what my brother gives me from his work.  (He works in a prison.)
I've been trying to perfect it,  but I usually end up....  getting bored and never finishing the project.

I sort of wish you could set up rooms to act as cells,  instead of needing cages and restraints.
Instead of 'bedroom',  you could put a floodgate or something there, and q-designate the room as 'prison'

Ah, here we go.  Heres a very, very basic one.
http://www.simoncornwell.com/urbex/others/ap/e231005/map.htm
Dorms are the large areas near the top left, usually seperated by different blocks or cells. (depending on the size)  Usually 12-13 cells per dorm,  each cell holding up to 2 prisoners.
Each dorm is usually controlled and  watched over by 1 guard.
1 guard for roughly 30 prisoners.

Kinda scary.. but it works.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:50:15 pm by dirkzen »
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:53:02 pm »

this is here because I forgot how to delete posts.
-_-  ...i'm going to bed now.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 11:54:41 pm by dirkzen »
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.