Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to learn ASCII graphics quickly?  (Read 4649 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: How to learn ASCII graphics quickly?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 11:21:53 am »

I tend to switch back and forth between tilesets, then use the default ASCII when new versions are released. My biggest problem is when I (re)realize that the original ASCII tiles aren't perfect squares, and my OCD goes crazy when I try to designate a square room and it doesn't look right.
I have actually gotten used to the rectangles. Perfect squares look *wrong* somehow now. :(
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 11:24:03 am »

What I did was just remove my pack and play plain ASCII until i got used to it.

I used 'K' to find out what things were, and after 30 mins i was absolutely fine with ASCII...
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 12:31:58 pm »

I never had any problem with the ascii
I usually check the (u)nit list anyway, since it's easier than pausing and looking around the entire fortress
and if there's a pressed situation in which I need to know what something is, I would probably need to pause anyway
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

That Guy Over There

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 07:18:34 pm »

I tend to switch back and forth between tilesets, then use the default ASCII when new versions are released. My biggest problem is when I (re)realize that the original ASCII tiles aren't perfect squares, and my OCD goes crazy when I try to designate a square room and it doesn't look right.

If you go the init you can switch it to the square version. It should be titled curses_square_16x16.png or something like that. It's in the art folder.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 08:06:33 pm »

Dwarves aren't 'D'.

If you see a D you'd better run very quickly.
1. Perfect proof that I know nothing about ASCII
2. I learnt this the hard way...
3. Thanks everyone for the handy tips. I think I'm gonna go see if I can manage my smiley faces any better
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 09:24:28 pm »

For me, it was just pushing on through and using the loo'k' key a great deal (which I tend to do anyway, even when using graphics packs like Phoebus). After a while you get used to associating each tile with its meaning (little brown dots are prepared food, for example). and you wonder why you had a problem before.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 10:02:20 pm »

I play with a tileset because they are perfectly square.
I play infront of people in normal ASCII simply to confuse them.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 10:11:04 pm »

I actually play in ASCII because I never figured out how to use Tilesets.
And then I simply declared it Dwarfy.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 10:13:24 pm »

I learned to play in ASCII without noticing it.

If I saw something that I didn't know what it was, I just loo"k"/"v"iew. Heck, I still do it pretty often. It becomes second nature.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 10:55:56 pm »

I play infront of people in normal ASCII simply to confuse them.

I refuse to tell my friends that watch me play that tilesets exist. Then again, I've learned the ASCII well enough to manage without one, so it doesn't really matter to me. They're all confused as hell when I'm explaining what's on screen though.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 10:56:49 pm »

I forced myself to learn the default tileset, mostly because I just threw myself into the game with no preparation (mistake).  Eventually I began to rely heavily on the wiki, which has all of its information and instructions referring to the default, so I learned to make do.  I actually only learned about tilesets relatively recently, and didn't bother because I didn't want to have to learn the graphics all over again.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 [2]