Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time travel.  (Read 630 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Time travel.
« on: September 26, 2011, 12:14:09 pm »

Shore, backward time travel is impossible in DF but what about forward time travel. In adventure mode, you could have some way of going forward in time, this would mean that worldgen is reenacted and the player appears again X years later. This would imply that the players status has a complete rewrite. And it also makes for interesting scenarios. Think doctor who meets lord of the rings meets tale of two cities.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Time travel.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 02:07:37 pm »

From DF Talk:

Toady:   Well I mean the hardest things are always time travel and stuff and that just needs a bigger disks. But I'm not sure they really care about time travel that much, it'd be cool to get the fluids in there, because I want giant lakes of blood and stuff and all the sand and that kind of thing. But as with any 'favourites' question it always just comes back to what I was just thinking about like ten minutes ago ... I'm absolutely horrible at these kinds of question, it's the worst thing in the world for me. Some people can rattle off their favourite movies and colours and things but I totally suck when it comes to that kind of thing.

Capntastic:   It does seem that there's going to be ... I think you mentioned some sort of time skip ability with growing crops, the ability to make time pass quickly which wouldn't be like the sleep command.
Toady:   Yeah, it's one of those things ... it's not quite like a holy grail of time travel that's impossible, but it's one of those tricky things we've avoided. One of the reasons the sleep command works in the ridiculous way it does is because you don't have to abstract time if it's just pressing period for you eight thousand times. So it's going to be a little tricky, but you have to have it, you have to be able to skip a season and let the world deal with itself. That's one of those things; there are a few things on the dev pages that are like little walls that we're going to crash into. Entity populations is one of the ones that'll take a while, abstracting time is another one, so I kind of want to plan my development around those, and not start them so soon that we don't have a lot of the serious bug fixes out of the way, so that I can work for a couple of weeks on entity populations and people aren't going to be - I'm not sure it'll take a couple of weeks, but just theoretically working a few weeks on entity populations - and then not have people being like 'well I wish you would have made it so that when my dwarves make turtle crafts they don't turn into fireballs and destroy my military' or whatever bugs are still there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So again like 99% of your hundreds of threads, it's something that has been discussed or planned.  You should work harder on making actually useful threads, like you agreed to do last time you were wondering why people were getting mad at you.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:10:22 pm by Capntastic »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:33:54 pm »

Yeah but Im talking about timetravel like that where you step into a portal or something not regular passing of years. Im thinking the ability to pass 300 years with timetravel.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 02:38:24 pm »

Toady talking about the issues posed by making time travel work in the game are still completely relevant to the issue despite not fitting your specific idea down to the cosmetic details 100%.  If you want to talk about making time travel work in DF, let's talk about time travel working in DF.  If you just want to make endless threads about what you specifically want and who cares what others are talking about already, then you need to sit back and try to realize why people are tired of your threads. 

We've (myself and quite a few others) gone over this before and you've said you'd work on it but you really haven't been.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 02:49:12 pm »

ok. then lets talk about backwards timetravel...  :o

Ok, Il try deleting this thread.

Edit: Why isnt there a delete button?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:53:24 pm by antymattar »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:15:47 pm »

It's Chuck Norris Toadyone will.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 02:07:57 pm »

going forward is basicy just a case of geting the world to do world gen type stuff once more.

backwards to a fixed point can be done, but it will just be a case of loading a save and makeing some changes
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG