Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Desktop Macros: Awesome  (Read 805 times)

Martholomule

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Desktop Macros: Awesome
« on: September 26, 2011, 01:49:59 pm »

When using a piece of software at my job that automates desktop jobs, i was suddenly struck with a strange mood - when i emerged i had built a 200 room floor of living quarters in under a minute and thirty seconds. [edit] this is before i was clued in on the internal macro recorder]

We use [no spambot here! but i'll tell you if you ask].  I don't know if it's against the rules to link it so you could Google for it if you like.  It's got a 30 day trial and is 20 bucks afterwards.  There's probably something out there that is cheaper or free, but I thought I'd throw this out there. 

I dug down to my living floor, recorded two macros consisting of the inputs for building rooms (one for two 4x4 rooms attached with a horizontal hallway 4 tiles across, and one vertically oriented).  I then dug my long halls (2 tiles across), and started jamming the macro buttons. 

After I got done designating this beautiful monstrosity, I thought: I have GOT to tell someone about this!

So there you go.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:01:18 pm by Martholomule »

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Desktop Macros: Awesome
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 01:53:58 pm »

I'm just going to assume that the first page is going to be full of people calling "SPAMBOT AND/OR TELEMARKETURRR", but I'm going to ignore that.

If I am not mistaken, DF has a built in macro system for doing things just like that. I generally do things by hand, for sake of utter paranoia, but a lot of people use macros to build large buildings in a small amount of time. Or get legendary throwers in adventure mode  :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 01:57:03 pm »

Yeah, DF has a macro setup that runs pretty smooth once you figure it out.  Ctrl R to record, Ctrl S to save, Ctrl L to load, Ctrl P to play.  I have ones set up for common issues, like "make a uniform with steel plate armor and spear" and "trade this whole page of crap to the dirty elves" and "goddam another ambush, set the military alerts and pull the levers!"

Martholomule

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 01:59:51 pm »

Oh man, thats helpful! :P

I edited my original post so as not to look like a commercial.  I couldn't figure out how not to, so I just squashed the product name since it doesn't matter now anyway, thanks a ton for the info on the macro recorder - I'm only on my sixth fort, still a noob. 

Though this fort is awesome.  Coastal living, awww yeah

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 02:00:19 pm »

"goddam another ambush, set the military alerts and pull the levers!"
Now that's a macro I have to salute to.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 02:02:02 pm »

"goddam another ambush, set the military alerts and pull the levers!"
Now that's a macro I have to salute to.
We need a Girlinhat anthem, she makes awesome stuff too often.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 02:15:28 pm »

Somewhere, right now, someone is compiling a book on me.  And they're planning my death.  With every revision of the tome, I've already done enough that it needs to be redone.  Thus, the only way to finish the book is to kill me and ensure that I can't do anything else.

Fortunately I've taken the liberty of pre-recording mountains of messages to fit any viable situation, so even after I'm dead I'll still be amazing for about 5 years or so.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 02:18:15 pm »

Well, you see, quotes are like an industry. Girlinhat is like a major corporation.
She has said so many awesome things, that everyone automatically realizes that whatever she says is awesome, and is open to the idea of it being awesome.
Then there are the small businesses like Necro, where people will unanimously agree that he has made one thing of pure, epic, and unconditional win during his companies creation, but other then that, most of them are moot, and up to religious debate.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 02:22:02 pm »

Well, you see, quotes are like an industry. Girlinhat is like a major corporation.
She has said so many awesome things, that everyone automatically realizes that whatever she says is awesome, and is open to the idea of it being awesome.
Then there are the small businesses like Necro, where people will unanimously agree that he has made one thing of pure, epic, and unconditional win during his companies creation, but other then that, most of them are moot, and up to religious debate.
I think "One-Hit Wonder" is the proper term.  :P